From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 Aug 94 17:29:37 EDT

NATIONAL GAY & LESBIAN TASK FORCE

LEGISLATIVE ALERT

Health Care Reform 
Urgent Action Needed 

The House of Representatives and the Senate plan to vote on health care
reform legislation before the August 19 summer recess.  Both the Gephardt
bill in the House and the Mitchell bill in the Senate contain
anti-discrimination language that bars discrimination based on sexual
orientation.  This is an historic civil rights victory for lesbians, gay men
and bisexuals.  However, NGLTF expects that some legislators may attempt to
delete sexual orientation before a final vote.  We must insist that sexual
orientation remains in the anti-discrimination language of whatever reform
bill passes.

Senators and representatives must hear the demand from constituents to
include sexual orientation in the non-discrimination language.  Please call
your Members of Congress immediately and share your concerns:

t Anti-gay bias and stigma creates barriers to health care that increase
vulnerabilities and risk for certain diseases and health problems.

t In a recent national survey conducted by the American Association of
Physicians for Human Rights, 9 out of 10 physicians reported observing
anti-gay bias, including cases where patients received substandard care or
were denied care because of their sexual orientation.

t The health insurance industry admits that it may avoid high risk groups
when possible.  Gay men make up the largest number of cases of AIDS in this
country and are thereby perceived to be at risk for costly HIV/AIDS health
care.  Gay men are thus in danger of discriminatory redlining.

In addition to non-discrimination language barring discrimination based on
sexual orientation, NGLTF encourages activist to advocate for health care
that includes:

t Universal coverage, providing health care to all those residing in the U.S.

t Comprehensive benefits, offering a broad package of treatments

t No restrictions for pre-existing conditions

t Permanence, ensuring that coverage cannot be taken away

Your action is needed to ensure health reform that reflects the principles of
universality, accessibility, equality, diversity and social responsibility.
 Call your senators and representatives today.  Time is running out to ensure
equal access to health reform for lesbians, gay men and bisexuals.

Contact:  U.S. Capitol Switchboard for the numbers of your Members of
Congress at 202-224-3121