From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 26 May 94 14:53:31 EDT

NATIONAL GAY AND LESBIAN TASK FORCE
PRESS RELEASE

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE 
May 26, 1994

Contact: David M. Smith, (202) 332-6483 ext. 3309
or pager (800) 757-7736, [email-masked] or 
Robin Kane, (202) 332-6483 ext. 3311 [email-masked]

NGLTF DESIGNATES JUNE 28 AS
HEALTH CARE REFORM CALL-IN DAY 

 Washington, D.C.-- (May 26, 1994) -- The National Gay and Lesbian Task Force
(NGLTF) will sponsor "Health Care Reform Call-In Day" on Tuesday, June
28--the 25th anniversary of the Stonewall Riots. As many health reform bills
work their way through various Congressional committees in June, the one-day
lobby action is intended to focus federal legislators' attention on the
demand for health care that is affordable, comprehensive and cannot be taken
away. 

 "It is crucial that gay, lesbian and bisexual constituents weigh in with
their Representatives and Senators during this time of federal debate and
compromise," said Marj Plumb, NGLTF Health Policy Director. "Our community
desperately needs health care reform for the same reasons as most Americans.
But we also face specific obstacles in the current system, such as high
levels of uninsured individuals, lack of coverage for our families, and
anti-gay/lesbian prejudice." 

 NGLTF is asking individuals to contact their legislators on Tuesday, June
28, and deliver a simple, straightforward message: "We want affordable,
comprehensive health care that cannot and will not be taken away." Criteria
that gay, lesbian and bisexual constituents should advocate in health care
reform plans include: universal coverage, comprehensive benefits, no
restrictions for pre-existing conditions, language barring discrimination
based on sexual orientation, and permanence.

 Constituents are encouraged to call their legislators through the Capitol
Switchboard, (202) 224-3121. Activists can also call the NGLTF Health Care
Reform Hot-Line at (202) 332-6483 ext. 3410 for updates on health reform
bills.

 "As thousands of people gather in New York City to participate in the June
26 Stonewall 25 march and related events, NGLTF will encourage Stonewall 25
participants to take the energy and enthusiasm home and contact their
legislators on June 28," Plumb said. 

--30--

 1734 14th Street, NW Washington, DC  20009
(202) 332-6483  t  (202) 332-0207 fax  t  (202) 332-6219 TTY