Subject: First Interstate Bank Responds to NGLTF
From: [email-masked] (Roderic J. Williams)
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 1994 08:30:25 -0800 (PST)

George Kronenberger, of the National Gay & Lesbian Task Force's
Workplace Project ([email-masked]) asked me to post the
following:

      ------------------------------------------------

Ken Preston, Vice President of First Interstate asked me to post the Bank's
response to faxes, letters and phone calls regarding First Interstate's
EEO policy.  Please note First Interstate should be applauded for attempting
to respond to the concerns of their lesbian and gay employees and customers. 
However, as far as NGLTF is concerned, the following response is totally
unacceptable:

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

January 25, 1994

Dear Mr. Kronenberger:

Thank you for taking the time this morning to discuss with me your recent
Internet message concerning First Interstate's policy prohibiting
discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation.  We appreciate this
opportunity to fully explain our policy.

Our corporate policy prohibits discrimination against any employee or
applicant due to race, age, color, religion, national origin, sex, veteran
status, disability or any other basis protected by state, federal or local
law.  Since corporate policy was designed to conform with the commonly
required laws in the 13 states in which we operate, it does not make specific
reference to sexual orientation.  As a result it may be misunderstood that
our policy condones discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation.

Let me state clearly that First Interstate has been and will remain committed
to ensuring equal opportunity for all its employees.  Consistent with our
corporate policy, First Interstate management explicitly prohibits
discrimination based on sexual orientation or any other category in those
states or locales where sexual orientation is a classification protected by
law, and has made no decision to modify or eliminate that prohibition.  In
these cases, local bank communications other than our corporate policy may
more explicitily address such requirements.

First Interstate values the diversity of its workforce.  Our strategy of
encouraging teamwork, open, two-way communication and personal development
requires that we foster an environment that includes rather than excludes
diverse individuals so that our employees and the communities we serve can
achieve their full potential.

Finally, let me assure you that First Interstate will remain an equal
opportunity employer.

I am hopeful that in fairness, you will send this letter to the same Internet
points that you sent your original note and provide subscribers an
opportunity to hear both from you and First Interstate.

Sincerely,

Ken Preston
Vice President
First Interstate Bank

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Unfortunately, First Interstate has not gotten the message that what is
implied by their policy (which was in fact modified) is that the Bank will
not discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation in states where such
discrimination is illegal, but in those states where there is no such
protection the option is open to discriminate against lesbians and gays.

A corporate EEO clause is the basic test from which we can evaluate whether a
company is sensitive to its gay and lesbian employees and customers.  First
Interstate is unwilling to include sexual orientation in its EEO clause, and
we should continue to let them know that we are unhappy about it.

Phone Bruce Willison, President, First Interstate, at (213) 614-4842, or fax
him at (213) 614-3454.

Also, please note that Bank of the West is a subsidiary of First Interstate. 
So if you bank there, let Mr. Willison know you do and that you are unhappy.

George Kronenberger
NGLTF Workplace Project
[email-masked]

--
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
rod williams  :  pacific bell  :  san francisco  :  [email-masked]
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::