Subject: Press Credentials for Creating Change
From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 1994 19:51:22 -0500

*************************************************
National Gay and Lesbian Task Force
NEWS RELEASE

Contact:  Gregory Fisher (202) 332-6483 ext. 3309
                                         (800) 757-7736 pager
               Beth Barrett       (202) 332-6483 ext. 3215

2320 17th Street NW   Washington, DC   200009
*************************************************
MAJOR GATHERING OF GAY & LESBIAN MOVEMENT
TWO DAYS AFTER ELECTIONS;

CREATING CHANGE CONFERENCE  IN DALLAS TO  FOCUS ON RESPONSE TO RADICAL RIGHT,
PLAN FUTURE STRATEGY

CALL NOW FOR ADVANCE PRESS CREDENTIALS

Some 1,800 gay activists will gather this month in Dallas, Texas for a
national conference that promises to mark a milestone in the history of the
gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender movement.  The 1994 Creating Change
Conference comes just days after votes on controversial anti-gay ballot
initiatives, heated elections featuring openly gay candidates, intensified
attacks by the Radical Right, and bids for national office by
arch-conservative candidates that could change the political landscape in the
U.S.

 The Creating Change Conference, sponsored by the National Gay and Lesbian
Task Force Policy Institute (NGLTF), will be held Nov. 10-13, 1994, in
Dallas, Texas, at the Southland Center Hotel, 400 N. Olive St. downtown.  An
opening press conference will be held on Friday, Nov. 11, 12:30 p.m. at the
Southland Hotel.  The press conference will feature noted national and Texas
gay figures, including representatives from campaigns to defeat anti-gay
ballots in Oregon and Idaho.

 The conference will present workshops on organizing on campus, health
issues, workplace equality, civil rights, anti-violence and more.  Three
"Fight the Right" intensives will focus on anti-gay ballot initiatives and
other areas.  Plenary speakers are Dr. Mel White,  former writer for Jerry
Falwell and Pat Robertson and now dean of the Cathedral of Hope, the largest
gay/lesbian church in the world; Glen Maxey, first openly gay elected
official in Texas,  member, Texas House of Representatives; Letitia Gomez,
executive director of the National Latino/a Lesbian and Gay Organization ;
and Phill Wilson, director of public policy at the AIDS Project Los Angeles
and founder of the Black Gay and Lesbian Leadership Forum.

 For advance press credentials contact Beth Barrett, NGLTF, (202)332-6483,
ext. 3215.  Reporters may fax Beth requests for credentials on media
letterhead, fax  (202)332-0207.

 For more information about the Creating Change Conference, call Robert Bray
at (415)552-6448; after Nov. 7 at (214)922-8000.

-end-