Subject: Creating Change Community Service Awards
From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 1994 19:26:23 -0500

*************************************************
National Gay and Lesbian Task Force
NEWS RELEASE

Contact:     Beth Barrett       (202) 332-6483 ext. 3215

2320 17th Street NW   Washington, DC   200009
*************************************************

NINE ACTIVISTS AND ORGANIZATIONS RECOGNIZED FOR CREATING CHANGE

Washington, D.C. -- November 18, 1994 --  Nine individuals and organizations
received the prestigious Creating Change Community Service Award at this
year's Creating Change Conference in Dallas, Texas, November 13.  Presented
by the National Gay and Lesbian Task Force (NGLTF) at the conference just
days after the sweeping victories of conservative candidates across the
nation, the awards provided an opportunity to reflect on the victories of the
gay, lesbian and bisexual community as activists regrouped to face what many
predicted would be a challenging political future.

Established in 1989, the Creating Change Community Service Awards recognize
the work of organizers and activists in communities around the country.  The
award program is the only nationally administered program of its kind.  NGLTF
staff and board selected recipients whose work created change on the local,
state, or national level.  

The 1994 Creating Change Community Service Awards recipients are:

Olympics Out of Cobb for a gold medal performance in defeating bigotry in
Cobb, County, Georgia.
Diane Hardy-Garcia, Executive Director of the Lesbian and Gay Rights Lobby of
Texas, for building a grassroots gay and lesbian movement that makes Texas
safer for all people.
Apple Computer, Inc. for standing firm in defense of its lesbian and gay
employees.
Alan S. Hergott for tearing down the closet doors and pioneering support for
gay and lesbian rights in the entertainment industry.
Mandy Carter, coordinator of the "National Call to Resist", for inspiring and
leading communities of color to resist the right wing backlash against civil
rights.
Japanese American Citizens League for its strong stand in support of equal
rights for all.
Gay Asian Pacific Alliance Community HIV Project for building the commitment
for gay and lesbian rights within the Japanese American Citizens League.
Lesbian & Gay Community Services Center of New York and Los Angeles Gay &
Lesbian Community Services Center for guiding untold numbers of gay, lesbian,
bisexual and transgendered people into safe harbors and welcoming
communities.

-end-