From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 Aug 94 17:19:42 EDT

NATIONAL GAY & LESBIAN TASK FORCE

LEGISLATIVE ALERT

August Congressional Action Kit

The National Gay and Lesbian Task Force is calling on our community to take
aggressive action in the month of August before and during the summer recess
of Congress to advocate for health care reform and passage of the Employment
Non-Discrimination Act of 1994 (ENDA), two issues that dramatically impact
the lives of lesbians, gay men, and bisexuals.  Constituents must also
communicate their outrage at the recent deluge of anti-gay amendments offered
by Senator Jesse Helms (R-NC).

The political gay bashing by Sen. Helms is far from over.  NGLTF anticipates
more anti-gay amendments in August and September.  These attacks, coupled
with health care reform and movement of the employment non-discrimination
bill, make August a critical month to have our voices heard on Capitol Hill.
 NGLTF places an emphasis on constituent empowerment because that's what
makes a difference on Capitol Hill.  We know that your letter, your phone
call and your office visit are vital to the success of any initiative.

Members of Congress want to know who supports an issue, how many support the
issue, why they support it and how it will impact their district.  This kit
includes all the information necessary to make a positive Congressional
impact for gay and lesbian civil rights.  Enclosed, you will find the latest
activist updates on health care reform, ENDA, and the anti-gay grandstanding
of Sen. Helms.

The Helms Strategy

During late July and early August Sen. Jesse Helms unleashed a gay bashing
agenda on Capitol Hill by filling the Congressional record with anti-gay
speeches and by attaching amendments and making anti-gay motions to several
bills.  So far, he has attacked Agriculture Appropriations, the National
Endowment for the Arts, Interior Appropriations and the Elementary and
Secondary Education Act.

Helms' strategy has forced NGLTF, and other groups, to spend its time
battling against anti-gay attacks, rather than advancing our affirmative
agenda by lobbying for the Employment Non-Discrimination Act and preserving
anti-discrimination provisions within health care reform bills soon to be on
both the House and Senate floors.

Helms must realize that ENDA enjoys unprecedented support on Capitol Hill.
 Helms knows that the gay, lesbian, and bisexual community has been
successful in getting sexual orientation included in civil rights provisions
of a majority of health care reform bills.  Helms also recognizes that the
Clinton Administration has advanced the basic civil rights of federal gay,
lesbian, and bisexual employees by enacting non-discrimination employment
policies in most federal agencies.

Helms is attacking because he recognizes that we are winning the war on
bigotry.  Helms hopes that in creating a hostile environment in the Senate on
gay issues, he will prevent future votes to affirm gay, lesbian, and bisexual
rights.   Helms' agenda is to destroy any advance by the gay, lesbian, and
bisexual community.  We need you to take action now and hold your senators
accountable for their votes in supporting Helms' gay bashing.  Act now!

Talking Points

t Health Care Reform:  Both Democratic bills contain anti-discrimination
language to ensure that all Americans will have access to health care.  We
must insist that sexual orientation remains in the anti-discrimination
language.

t Employment Non-Discrimination Act (ENDA):  This bill would prohibit
workplace discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation.  We must secure
wide support for ENDA.

t Anti-Gay Amendments:  Sen. Helms has suceeded in intimidating senators into
supporting his anti-gay rhetoric.  We must demand that senators vote "no"
every time Helms uses the Senate floor as a platform for political gay
bashing.

Definite Conference Committee Members from the Senate
Christopher Dodd (CT), Tom Harkin (IA), Paul Simon (IL), Dan Coats (IN),
Nancy Kassebaum (K), Edward Kennedy (MA), Barbara Mikulski (MD), Dave
Durenberger (MN), Paul Wellstone (MN), Jud Gregg (NH), Jeff Bingaman (NM),
Howard Metzenbaum (OH), Harris Wofford (PA), Claiborne Pell (RI), Strom
Thurmond (SC), Orrin Hatch (UT), Jim Jeffords (VT), 

Possible Conference Committee Members from the House of Representatives
Eni Faleomavaega (AS), Karan English (AZ), Xavier Becerra (CA), Randy
Cunningham (CA), Matthew Martinez (CA), Howard McKeon (CA), George Miller
(CA), Lynn Woolsey (CA), Dan Miller (FL), Patsy Mink (HI), Harris Fawell
(IL), Tim Roemer (IN), Scotty Baesler (KY), William Ford (MI), Peter Hoekstra
(MI), Dale Kildee (MI), William Clay (MO), Pat Williams (MT), Bill Barrett
(NE), Robert Andrews (NJ), Donald Payne (NJ), Marge Roukema (NJ), Eliot Engle
(NY), Susan Molinari (NY), Major Owens (NY), Cass Ballenger (NC), John
Boehner (OH), Thomas Sawyer (OH), Ted Stickland (OH), William Goodling (PA),
Ron Klink (PA), Austin Murphy (PA), Carlos Romero-Barcelo (PR), Jack Reed
(RI), Richard Armey (TX), Gene Green (TX), Robert Scott (VA), Ron de Lugo
(VI), Jolene Unsoeld (WA), Steve Gunderson (WI), Thomas Petri (WI)

5 Simple Things
You Can Do 

You can advocate for health care reform, support the Employment
Non-Discrimination Act, and hold your senators accountable for their anti-gay
votes in just a few minutes of your time.

1. Contact your Representatives and Senators! Call the U.S. Capitol
Switchboard for the phone numbers of your Members of Congress at:
 202-224-3121.  Don't worry if you don't know their names, the operator can
tell you based on your zip code.
When writing, make sure your letter is brief and concise.  Be sure to state
your position and exactly what you want the legislator to do in your first
paragraph.  Finally, be sure to request a reply.

Send your letter to:

The Honorable _______ The Honorable _________
House of Representative U.S. Senate
Washington, DC   20515 Washington, DC  20510

Dear Representative: Dear Senator:

2. Meet With Your Members of Congress!  Meet in your district office during
the August recess.  Call your Congressperson's district office.  Ask to speak
to the scheduler or appointment secretary.  Be specific about your reason for
wanting the appointment.  Keep your request for time brief--15 minutes is a
long time to discuss your views.

3. Write a Letter to the Editor!  Your local newspaper needs to hear about
your support for ENDA and experience with workplace discrimination.

4. Get the Word Out!  August is a crucial month for gay, lesbian, and
bisexual rights.  Share the information in this kit with everyone you know.
 Throw a letter writing party.

5. Call the Task Force!  The National Gay and Lesbian Task Force wants to
hear from you. Let us know how your campaign is going.  Call Tanya Domi,
Legislative Director, at (202) 332-6483, ext. 3308, or Beth Barrett,
Legislative Assistant, ext. 3215.