Subject: Call For Justice in Miss. Update
From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Nov 1994 14:37:41 -0500

*************************************************
National Gay and Lesbian Task Force
NEWS RELEASE

Contact:  Gregory Fisher (202) 332-6483 ext. 3309
                                       (800) 757-7736 pager
               Beth Barrett     (202) 332-6483 ext. 3215

2320 17th Street NW   Washington, DC   200009
*************************************************
(Note: This release has been updated to include pricing information for
Western Union Services)

NGLTF ESTABLISHES A HOTLINE TO INCREASE PRESSURE ON DOJ TO INTERVENE IN
MISSISSPPI  

SCLC Joins the Call for DOJ Investigation 

Washington, D.C. --  November 1, 1994 -- Representatives at the Department of
Justice have said they cannot intervene in the murder investigation of two
gay men in Laurel, Mississippi because the 1964 Civil Rights Act does not
extend protection to people on the basis of sexual orientation.  The
legislation gives them no clear mandate to investigate possible civil rights
violations of the murdered men because of their sexual orientation, according
to representatives from Attorney General Janet Reno's office.  NGLTF  has
repeatedly urged Attorney General Reno to step in but have not yet received
her official reply.
  
Meanwhile, the Southern Christian Leadership Conference, in Atlanta, has
joined the call for a "thorough and independent investigation of the murder
case."  The SCLC cited disparaging remarks made by Jones County Sherriff
Maurice Hooks about homosexuals and a lack of accurate information about the
suspect, a 17-year-old African-American male, as strong reason to enlist
outside help.  
 
"In view of the history of race and the criminal justice system in
Mississippi, we believe an outside, objective investigation is essential,"
said the Rev. Joseph Lowery, SCLC president.

A 1-800-hotline with Western Union has been established to link local
activist with Attorney General Reno's office, Radecic announced today.  By
calling 1-800-651-1417, for a small fee, individuals may speak to an operator
who will add their name and address to a letter urging Reno to intervene in
the matter and to further address the rising tide of anti-gay/lesbian murders
across the country.

"We must keep the pressure on the DOJ now,"  Radecic said.  "The situation in
central Mississippi is only a picture of the violence, intimidation and
harrasment faced by gay and lesbian people throughout the United States
everyday.  We need a clear message from the DOJ whether we as citizens can
expect to receive protection and assistance from the very agency created to
do so.  If the Civil Rights Act of 1964 does not include us as protected
citizens, then the Clinton Administration is going to have to tell us who we
can depend on when the lives and welfare of our people are at stake."

Note:  Western Union will charge $6.50 to your credit card or phone bill for
this service.

---end---