From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 Aug 94 17:27:54 EDT

NATIONAL GAY & LESBIAN TASK FORCE

LEGISLATIVE ALERT

Ban Job Discrimination Based on Sexual Orientation
Action Needed Now

A recently introduced federal bill prohibiting employment discrimination on
the basis of sexual orientation is receiving unprecedented bipartisan support
in both the House of Representatives and Senate.  The Employment
Non-Discrimination Act (ENDA) of 1994 has 125 House and 30 Senate co-sponsors
making it the most popular gay and lesbian civil rights bill in Congressional
history.  Senate hearings, held July 29, clearly demonstrated that job
discrimination is a real danger for gay men, lesbians and bisexuals.
 September is an important month for ENDA with a vote expected in the Senate
and hearings expected in the House.

The time for more ENDA support and co-sponsorship is now!  Call your
representatives and senators!  Meet with them in their district offices
during the August recess.  Contact your local newspapers!  Get letters of
endorsement!  Tell everyone you know!  Ask your representative and senators
to support justice for all by becoming an ENDA co-sponsor.

The main message to all members of Congress is:

t As a supporter of equal rights for ALL citizens, we detest the workplace
discrimination experienced by too many gay, lesbian, and bisexual people.

t Federal law currently protects employees from discrimination on the basis
of race, religion, gender, national origin, age, and disability.  ENDA
extends fair employment practices -- not special rights -- to lesbians, gay
men, bisexuals and heterosexuals.

t A February 1994 Newsweek opinion poll found that "74% of all Americans
favor protecting gays from job discrimination."

t ENDA is endorsed by civil rights, labor and religious  leaders,  and by the
Leadership Conference on Civil Rights, the pre-eminent civil rights umbrella
group.

Contact the U.S. Capitol Switchboard for the phone numbers of your Members of
Congress at:  202-224-3121.