Subject: VERMONT DECISION SETS STAGE FOR MILLENNIUM MARCH ON WASHINGTON
From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2000 19:00:07 EDT

NEWS RELEASE

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

CONTACT:
Maaza Mengiste
Communications Director, UFMCC
(310) 360-8640, Ext. 226 
[email-masked]
http://www.ufmcc.com 

VERMONT DECISION SETS STAGE FOR MILLENNIUM MARCH ON WASHINGTON

West Hollywood, CA, April 19 -- Please join us in celebrating the passage of 
a bill that has been called the closest thing in America to gay marriage!  
This bill won final approval in the Vermont State Senate on Wednesday, April 
19.  The bill will enable gay couples to form "civil unions" that would 
entitle them to all 300 or so rights and benefits available under state law 
to married couples. No other state has gone as far as Vermont to give gay 
couples something approximating marriage.  Governor Howard is expected to 
sign the bill. 

Rev. Nancy Wilson, Pastor of MCC Los Angeles and Vice Moderator of the 
Universal Fellowship of Metropolitan Community Churches (UFMCC), states, 
"This is another important chapter in our struggle for equal rights in the 
LGBT community.  In this struggle, profiles of courage are continuously being 
evidenced in our country and I praise the Vermont State Legislature for 
taking this very brave step to support the dignity and rights of gay and 
lesbian couples." 

"Vermont’s recent ruling is the wave of the future," adds Rev. Wilson.  "And 
we look forward to ways this will concretely improve the lives of gay and 
lesbian couples in Vermont and hopefully the rest of the nation."

UFMCC has always believed that all loving and mutual and consensual 
relationships have a sacred character and we’re glad that the state of 
Vermont now also acknowledges their civic importance.  

We are continuing this fight for our rights at the Millennium March on 
Washington (MMOW) on April 29 – 30, 2000.  Please stand together with other 
members of the LGBT community and our allies as we demand from our government 
all our civil rights. 

"The Wedding; Now More Than Ever", a public demonstration and non-sectarian 
blessing in celebration of same-sex marriage, will take place during the MMOW 
at the Lincoln Memorial on April 29. We believe that "The Wedding", along 
with Vermont’s action, will do a great deal to undercut the argument that 
extending civil rights to gay and lesbian couples will undermine the 
"institution of marriage".

For more information on the March on Washington, please go to our web site at 
www.ufmcc.com.