Subject: FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: REV. TROY D. PERRY PRAISES U.S. SENATE HATE CRIME BILL
From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2000 13:33:41 EDT

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

CONTACT:
Ms. Maaza Mengiste
Communications Director, UFMCC
(310) 360-8640, Ext. 226 
[email-masked]
http://www.ufmcc.com 

REV. TROY D. PERRY PRAISES U.S. SENATE HATE CRIME BILL
West Hollywood, CA – June 20, 2000 -- On Tuesday, June 20, after several 
years of active debate, the United States Senate passed a hate crime 
amendment that would make crimes motivated by sexual orientation a federal 
offense.   The bill's chief sponsor was Senator Edward M. Kennedy of 
Massachusetts.

Rev. Troy D. Perry, Founder and Moderator of the Universal Fellowship of 
Metropolitan Community Churches (UFMCC) expressed his approval of the passing 
of this legislation.  "Finally, the federal government is recognizing that 
steps need to be taken to insure the civil rights and safety of LGBT people 
in this country."

UFMCC is an inclusive worldwide fellowship of Christian congregations with a 
special outreach to the world's gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgendered 
communities. Since its founding in 1968 by Rev. Perry, UFMCC has grown into a 
denomination of approximately 45,000 members in 300 churches in 18 countries. 

Current federal hate crimes law covers only color, national origin, race, and 
religion.  But crimes against gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgendered 
Americans are the third largest category of hate crime -- and most agree that 
they are likely underreported because victims fear being "outed." A recent 
report by the National Coalition of Anti-Violence Programs found that 
homophobic hate crimes have increased in number and severity over the last 
year.  

While it can be argued that all crimes are motivated by some sort of hate, 
until today, the legal term "hate crimes" included only those violent crimes 
that involved bias based on gender, ethnicity, religion, or physical 
disability.  Criminals receive harsher sentences for "hate crimes" than for 
other violent acts.

This measure was also passed by the Senate in 1999, but was deleted by a 
House-Senate conference committee. The measure now will be put to the House 
of Representative for a vote.

Rev. Perry adds, "I hope and pray that the House will pass this legislation 
and bring us even closer to a safer and more inclusive America.  We cannot 
continue to live in fear of violence because of who we are.  We are all God’s 
children and we are all worthy of God’s love and equal protection under the 
law."

------------------------END-------------------------