Subject: For Immediate Release: Gay Minister Calls Republicans Obscene
From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2000 20:54:03 EST

PRESS ADVISORY FROM:     
     METROPOLITAN COMMUNITY CHURCH OF SAN FRANCISCO 

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
DATED:  MONDAY, FEBRUARY 7, 2000
MEDIA COORDINATOR:  ALLEN WHITE     415.280.0265

GAY MINISTER CALLS REPUBLICANS OBSCENE

"The California Republican Party have, by their silence, condoned an 
obscenity.  Death is never, I repeat, never funny," said Rev. Jim Mitulski, 
Senior Pastor, Metropolitan Community Church of San Francisco.  "For 
Republicans to seek political strength at the expense of any minority 
represents the height of immorality."  

At the Republican Prayer Breakfast, last September in Anaheim, Republican 
State Party Chaplain, Doc Burch, reportedly told a joke which describes 
Egyptians as adulterers, Syrians as thieves and Jews as cheap barterers.  
Last weekend, again at the State Republican Party Prayer Breakfast, jokes 
mocking gays, lesbians and those killed at Columbine High School were told.

The breakfast, it was reported, was used as a platform for the Republican 
Party to generate support for Proposition 22, the Limitation of Marriage 
initiative The San Francisco Examiner reported "the audience roared with 
laughter," at the jokes.  

Burch reportedly said the United States would "pay a price" like Nazi Germany 
and the former Soviet Union for acceptance of gay men and lesbians.  He also 
said, "God doesn't tolerate the way we are living today, embracing all kinds 
of evil."  Also at the breakfast were Republican State Party Chairman John 
McGraw and Prop 22 author, Pete Knight.

"Does the Republican Party have no sense of values," Mitulski asked.  "Most 
people when they make a mistake say 'I'm sorry.  These Repubicans, on the 
other hand we are told, 'roared with laughter."

"The Republican Party, its State Chairman John McGraw and their State Senator 
Pete Knight have shown they will tolerate anything to further their own 
political agendas.  Senator Knight has succeeded in taking the Republican 
Party into the gutter.  They should be ashamed of themselves," Mitulski 
concluded.