Subject: White Promises Soulforce Intervention at Jimmy Creech Trial,
From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 1999 08:52:18 EST

SOULFORCE NEWS ALERT (for immediate release)

WHITE BEGS METHODISTS TO CANCEL CREECH TRIAL
CALLS TRIBUNAL AN "ACT OF SPIRITUAL VIOLENCE"
Promises Soulforce Intervention in Nebraska, Nov. 16-18.

GRAND ISLAND, NEBRASKA, NOV. 3, 1999 - Just days after returning from their 
"Anti-Violence Forum" with Jerry Falwell in Lynchburg, Virginia, Mel White 
and his Soulforce team of GLBT people of faith and their allies are training 
for a nonviolent "Intervention" at the Jimmy Creech trial in Grand Island, 
Nebraska, Nov. 16-18, 1999.  

"This trial," White explains, "is not simply a private legal matter between 
the United Methodists and one of their clergy. It is a highly visible assault 
on America's sexual minorities by an historic Christian denomination.  They 
think the trial is about Jimmy Creech.  We see it as an act of spiritual 
violence against all God's lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgendered 
children."

On Tuesday night, Nov. 16, White has invited Rev. Creech (and any other 
clergy who care to stand in solidarity with him) to conduct a same-gender 
holy union in Grand Island, Nebraska.  Gay and lesbian couples who would like 
to reaffirm their vows or GLBT folk, their friends and families who can 
travel to Grand Island are invited to join the celebration as well. "If this 
is my last act as a United Methodist minister," the Rev. Jimmy Creech says, 
"I am glad that it is a celebration of God's love."

In a letter released today (complete text at www.soulforce.org),  White 
reminds Bishop William Grove, the trial's Presiding Officer, and the jury 
pool of thirty-five United Methodist clergy that the trial's coverage by the 
world's media will inadvertently inflame the debate about homosexuality once 
again.  He is also concerned that TV preachers and talk show hosts will use 
the occasion to flood the nation with more false inflammatory anti-gay 
rhetoric.  White invites trial officials to stand outside the courtroom with 
his Soulforce delegation. "Have the courage to refuse to convene this tragic 
trial…Refuse to lend your name to a moment that will be condemned by 
history…Link your arms with our arms and we will celebrate your courage."  

 "We hope that the United Methodists will realize the historic consequences 
of this trial before it is too late," White says, "but the minute jury 
selection begins, we will launch a nonviolent intervention in the spirit of 
Jesus, Gandhi, and King.  The silent, loving, nonviolent vigil that we are 
currently negotiating with United Methodist leaders and local police 
officials may be misunderstood and condemned; but when someone we love is 
being attacked nonviolence calls us to stand between the victim and the 
assailant. This trial is an attack on our sisters and brothers.  We must put 
our bodies in the way.  We are determined to help end this costly and 
senseless war that religious leaders seem determined to wage against us. On 
November 17," White adds sadly,  "Grand Island, Nebraska, becomes another 
frontline battlefield in that war and Jimmy Creech cannot be abandoned to 
fight our battles alone."

Any one who wants to participate in the Wednesday Soulforce Intervention must 
arrive in Grand Island by 4PM for training in nonviolence.  All volunteers 
must sign the ten vows signed by marchers with Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. in 
1963.  For information or to volunteer, please email Soulforce, Inc. at <<JC 
OnTrial [email-masked]>>.

MEDIA NOTES:  The Holy Union and Vow Renewal Celebration with Jimmy Creech is 
open to the media, Tuesday evening, Nov. 16.  Inquire below for time and 
place. If the trial is convened November 17, the Soulforce Intervention will 
begin immediately at the trial location: Trinity United Methodist Church, 511 
North Elm St., Grand Island, NE.  For general information or to interview the 
Rev. Jimmy Creech, contact Laura Montgomery Rutt, Media Coordinator, 
717-627-7180 ([email-masked]). To contact Dr. Mel White or members 
of his Soulforce Team in your area, call: 949-455-0999 or 949-933-3592 or 
email him at (JC OnTrial [email-masked]). Check www.soulforce.org for on-line 
updates. Soulforce Team members are available in most areas for media 
interview.