Subject: Update: Texas Judge Rules on "Acceptable" Churches for GLBT Families
From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 6 May 1999 17:08:30 EDT

N E W S   R E L E A S E

From The News Service
of The Universal Fellowship of 
Metropolitan Community Churches

Appeal Filed In Case of Texas Judge Who Ruled Metropolitan Community Church 
Unacceptable for Gay Families
- Amicus Brief Being Prepared  -

May 6, 1999 -- A notice of intent to appeal has been filed in the Texas court 
system against the official judicial ruling that the predominantly gay 
Metropolitan Community Church (MCC) is not an acceptable church for the 
daughter of a lesbian mother.

The ruling came in the midst of a custody ruling as part of a divorce between 
the lesbian mother in Wichita Falls, Texas and her husband.

"We're going to defend this family's right to freedom of worship," said the 
Rev. Troy D. Perry, Moderator of more than 300 MCC congregations. 

In his legal opinion, Judge Keith Nelson of the 78th Judicial District wrote:

"The primary issue is where the child would attend Sunday school and 
church...the intent was for mainline churches to be utilized in the religious 
training of the daughter... The Metropolitan Community Church does not fall 
within this category."

The Universal Fellowship of Metropolitan Community Churches (UFMCC) is a 
Christian denomination with a primary, affirming ministry to gays, lesbians, 
bisexuals and transgendered persons. UFMCC is composed of 300 local churches 
in 15 countries and more than 225,000 persons annually attend the programs 
and services of UFMCC, according to a denominational spokesperson.

"There are at least two issues for us," said Perry. First, the government has 
no legal right telling any family which churches are acceptable and which are 
not."

"Moreover, the US Constitution, the Internal Revenue Service, and the 
"Yearbook of American and Canadian Churches" compiled and published by the 
National Council of Churches all recognize Metropolitan Community Church as a 
church," said Perry. "UFMCC holds observer status with the World Council of 
Churches. And our denominational Statement of Faith clearly falls within the 
theology of mainline Protestant denominations."

UFMCC has joined hands with the National Center for Lesbian Rights to handle 
the legal appeals on behalf of the lesbian mother and her child.

Kate Kendell, Executive Director of NCLR, said, "It is unprecedented in our 
experience of representing lesbian and gay parents for a court to direct a 
parent that she or he may not take a child to the religious services of their 
choice. Our First Amendment and our legal traditions of religious freedom do 
not tolerate any government attempts to determine what religious training is 
appropriate for our families and our children. We intend to have this 
unconstitutional ruling overturned on appeal."

"This case has resonated with people across the country," said Perry. "In 30 
years of ministry, I have seldom seen anything which has ignited as much 
response as this issue. We've received hundreds of letters of support from 
individuals, organizations and a broad cross section of religious leaders. We 
have established a UFMCC Religious Freedom Fund to handle the legal costs, 
and numerous religious and human rights organizations are exploring options 
for filing an amicus brief on behalf of the mother and child."

Organizations wishing to join in the amicus brief should contact UFMCC or 
NCLR for more information.

"This case is not only shocking," said Perry, "it's an attack on GLBT 
families and people of faith. More than that, it is a genuine threat to 
freedom of religion for all people."

[At the request of both lawyers and the family, we continue to withhold the 
name of the mother and child to protect their rights, to protect the mother's 
employment, and to protect the child from harassment. We ask the media to 
continue to respect this family's need for privacy.]

The lesbian mother reports she tried to comply with the judge's ruling and 
attended the types of churches listed in his order. "We never felt 
comfortable in those places," said the mother, whose name is being withheld 
to protect her daughter's legal rights. "My heart almost broke when my 
daughter begged me to take her back to the MCC church."

A notice of intent to appeal was filed on April 21 in the Texas court system. 
No hearing date has been announced.

Since its founding in 1968, UFMCC has been at the forefront of the drive for 
spiritual justice for gays, lesbians, bisexuals and transgendered persons. 
The denomination fought for the of gay and lesbian chaplains to serve in 
public jails, and has fought a variety of anti-gay laws and ballot 
initiatives. UFMCC theology includes a strong biblical commitment to social 
justice and human rights.

(END)

FOR ADDITIONAL INFORMATION, CONTACT:
UFMCC Director of Communications
8704 Santa Monica Blvd., 2nd Floor
West Hollywood, CA  90069
Tel. (310) 360-8640
Fax: (310) 36-8680
E-Mail: [email-masked]
website: http://www.ufmcc.com

Kate Kendell, Executive Director
National Center for Lesbian Rights
870 Market Street, Suite 570
San Francisco, CA  94102
Tel. (415) 392-6257
Fax: (415) 392-8442