Subject: Immediate Release - Same-sex Couples to Demonstrate for Rights
From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 1999 14:20:05 EST

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE 

SAME-SEX COUPLES DEMONSTRATE FOR RIGHTS AT MARCH ON WASHINGTON 
Washington, DC - November 12, 1999 -Music by the Lesbian and Gay Bands of 
America (L.G.B.A.) and a special recognition of two couples who have been 
together the longest will highlight the Millennium March on Washington on 
April 30, 2000.  As the world's largest-ever non-sectarian demonstration 
celebrating same-sex marriage, the March will also be one of the first human 
rights marches of the new millennium.

Recent setbacks in the last elections in Alaska and Hawaii have fueled a new 
emphasis on same-sex marriage rights, according to the Rev. Troy D. Perry, 
founder and moderator of the Universal Fellowship of Metropolitan Community 
Churches (UFMCC).  UFMCC is the world's largest and oldest spiritual 
organization offering positive affirming spirituality to the gay, lesbian, 
bisexual and transgendered communities.

"The setbacks in the last election were only temporary setbacks in a long 
journey toward full civil rights for all people," said veteran human rights 
activist Perry.  "We're going to continue to raise the visibility of this 
issue over the next two years."

As part of that strategy, Perry has announced plans for "The Wedding: Now 
More Than Ever" a public demonstration and non-sectarian blessing in 
celebration of same-sex marriage.

Perry conducted "The Wedding" for 2600 couples at the 1993 March on 
Washington.  That event stands as the largest same-sex wedding demonstration 
and celebration in history.

"Participants will not only be able to celebrate their love and commitment in 
a memorable event, but we're going to make a powerful statement to the world 
and we're going to make history.  I fully expect to have 5000 couples at this 
event," added Perry.

The Lesbian and Gay Bands Of America, the national musical organization 
comprised of concert and marching bands from cities across America, will 
supply the romantic and inspirational music before and during the ceremony 
and demonstration.  L.G.B.A. formed in 1982 and has grown from seven 
independent bands to 22 bands dedicated to making political statements in 
through music.  

In addition to the L.G.B.A., the search for two same-sex couples who have 
been together the longest will highlight the March.  Perry said, "We're 
looking for two same-sex couples, living in America, - lesbian, gay, bisexual 
or transgendered - who have been together the longest.  At the last March on 
Washington in 1993, we honored two wonderful couples.  One couple, male, had 
been together 48 years and were veterans who met at the end of WWII.  The 
other couple was female and had been together 38 years. "

UFMCC is launching a nationwide search for two more couples to represent the 
LGBT community and share their story at the demonstration.  UFMCC is offering 
free hotel accommodations, transportation and meals during the weekend of the 
March to the selected couples.   All those who have been part of their 
same-sex relationship for an extended period of time may contact UFMCC at RevT
[email-masked] or write UFMCC - Search for Couples, 8704 Santa Monica 
Blvd., 2nd Floor, West Hollywood, CA 90069.

Perry stated, "We want to show America that our relationships are as loving 
and caring as heterosexual relationships, and that we can maintain long-term 
commitments despite the lack of rights afforded to the heterosexual 
community."

"The Wedding: Now More Than Ever" will take place in front of the Internal 
Revenue Service Building in Washington, DC on Saturday, April 29 at 10:45 
a.m.  The event is a non-sectarian ceremony open to all couples who wish to 
make a public statement of their vows or who wish to renew their vows as part 
of this demonstration.

For a $25 registration fee, couples' names will be registered in a permanent 
historical archive of "The Wedding: Now More Than Ever" and a limited 
edition, personalized certificate of participation suitable for framing will 
be prepared.

There is no charge for those who wish to participate without registering for 
the archive and certificate.

To register for The Wedding online, go to http://www.ufmcc.com.

For more information, contact Ms. Maaza Mengiste, UFMCC Communications 
Director, phone: (310) 360-8640, E-mail: [email-masked], website: http://www.
ufmcc.com