Subject: "Rock The Vote" Endorses Millennium March on Washington
From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 1999 17:39:54 EDT

From The News Service
of the Universal Fellowship of
Metropolitan Community Churches

Rock The Vote
Endorses Millennium March On Washington
Recording & Entertainment Industry Add Their Support

Statement by the Rev. Troy D. Perry
to the Members of UFMCC:

The members of Rock the Vote have joined the growing list of endorsers of the 
upcoming March on Washington scheduled for April 30, 2000.

Rock the Vote members include Aerosmith, Beastie Boys, Mary J. Blige, Michael 
Bolton, Tracy Chapman, Sheryl Crow, Drew Barrymore, Blind Melon, Brandy, 
Coolio, Dave Matthews Band, Michael Douglas, Robert Downey, Jr., Cuba 
Gooding, Jr., Goo Goo Dolls, Brian Austin Green, Woody Harrelson, Hootie & 
the Blowfish, Iggy Pop, Samuel L. Jackson, Jewel, Diane Keaton, LL Cool J, 
Madonna, Magic Johnson, Marky Mark, Reba McEntire, Sarah Jessica Parker, 
Pearl Jam, Poe, Jason Priestly, Queen Latifah, The Ramones, Snoop Doggy Dog, 
Michael Stipe, Randy Travis, U2, Blair Underwood, Jody Watley, Robin 
Williams, Noah Wylie, and Dwight Yoakam.

Rock the Vote was founded in 1990 by members of the recording and 
entertainment industry in response to a wave of attacks on freedom of speech 
and artistic expression. Rock the Vote works for the political empowerment of 
young Americans, is dedicated to protecting freedom of expression, and helps 
young people utilize their power to affect change in the civic and political 
lives of their communities.

Thanks to the work of Rock the Vote and its partner organizations, young 
people in America have reversed a 20-year cycle of declining voter 
participation with a 20 percent increase in youth turnout for presidential 
elections.

During the past nine years, Rock the Vote has worked for passage of the 
National and Community Service Trust Act and the Motor Voter Bill, provided 
education on health care issues, and designed the first program to register 
voters by phone and the first website to offer Internet voter registration.

The Millennium March on Washington welcomes the artists and entertainers of 
Rock the Vote to the outstanding list of endorsers and looks forward to their 
participation and leadership in the upcoming March.

The Millennium March on Washington for Equality is a non-partisan national 
(USA) event which welcomes and encourages broad and diverse representation.

This will be the fourth national (USA) March on Washington in the history of 
the gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgendered justice movement. MMOW will take 
place on April 30, 2000 on the Mall in Washington, DC.

Rock the Vote joins a growing roster of organizational endorsers, including 
but not limited to the  ACLU Foundation of Southern California, American 
Baptists Concerned, American Psychological Association (Div. 44), Apple 
Lambda, Camp Sister Spirit, Chi Rho Press, Chrysalis Transgendered 
Organizations, Coastal Pride of Florida, College Democrats, Community 
Peacemakers, Companion Press, Dignity USA, Evangelical Anglican Church, 
Feminist Majority, Gay and Lesbian Medical Association, Gay and Lesbian 
Parents Coalition, Gay Wired, GenderPAC, Human Rights Campaign, IBM Employee 
Diversity Network, International Transgender Law Conference, Lambda Aloha, 
LLEGO, Maryland Gay Resource Network, National Association of Social Workers 
(Maryland Chapter), National Coalition for Sexual Freedom, National 
Organization for Women, Old Lesbians Organizing for Change, Out & About 
Newsletter, Out Front Minnesota, PFLAG, PlanetOut, Prodigy's Rainbow 
Universe, Q Spirit, San Francisco Pride, Serra Project, Triangle Survival 
Network, UFMCC, Women In The Moon Publishers.

Anyone interested in serving on the Board of Directors or the MMOW Leadership 
Council should send a letter of interest and a resume to Duane Cramer, c/o 
The NAMES Project AIDS Quilt, 310 Townsend Street, #310, San Francisco, CA  
94107.

Additional information on the Millennium March on Washington is available by 
writing to Robin Tyler, Executive Producer, at MMOW, Post Office Box 65960, 
Washington, DC  20035. E-mail messages may be sent to [email-masked]

Yours,
The Rev. Troy D. Perry
Moderator of UFMCC

(END)

For Additional Information, Contact:
UFMCC Communications Department
8704 Santa Monica Blvd.,  2nd Floor
West Hollywood, CA  90069
Tel. (310) 360-8640, Ext. 226
Fax: (310) 360-8680
E-mail: [email-masked]
website: http://www.ufmcc.com