Subject: For Immediate Release - Update on Rev. Sherriff's Murder
From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 1999 21:08:02 EDT

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

CONTACT:
Maaza Mengiste, Communications Director
UFMCC
(310) 360-8640, Ext. 226
[email-masked]  
http://www.ufmcc.com

Pastor's Murder Shocks Gay Church

Rev. Elder Troy D. Perry, Founder and Moderator of the Universal Fellowship 
of Metropolitan Community Churches, announced this afternoon that the 
denomination is sending a support team to the Cathedral of Promise 
Metropolitan Community Church in 
Sacramento, California because of the overwhelming grief of that local 
congregation.  

Rev. Perry stated, "We do not know whether this is a hate crime or a random 
act of violence.  We understand that the suspects were seen at the house and 
that the house, according to the police, was ransacked, but we do not know 
the motive of the individuals that committed this horrendous crime.  Also, 
because of the prevalence of hate crimes against gay people and other 
minorities in California, we call upon the police to rigorously investigate 
every aspect of this crime."  

In 1994, the church was vandalized with swastikas and a molotov cocktail that 
apparently did not ignite was found outside of the building.  Two months 
later, a suspicious fire destroyed the $900,000 sanctuary which was also home 
to the Samaritan Center, where the homeless and poor were given assistance.

Rev. Perry added, "Rev. Ed Sherriff was a person of impeccable character.  He 
was highly esteemed for his service to our denomination and to the poor and 
homeless of Sacramento, California.  No one who needed food, clothing or 
housing was ever turned away by Rev. Sherriff."

The support team on its way to Sacramento is made up of Rev. Elder Nori Rost, 
Past of Pike's Peak Metropolitan Community Church in Colorado Springs, 
Colorado and Rev. Roy Cole, Pastor of Metropolitan Community Church of 
Portland, Oregon.

The team is prepared to assist the congregation with counseling and will also 
provide a public liaison for the situation.  

Rev. Perry emphasized, "We want to make sure that every avenue is explored 
regarding this crime.  We pray and hope that the police apprehend the 
individuals responsible for his death.  We do not believe in vengeance, but 
we absolutely believe in justice.  And we look forward to justice being done."

Address all inquiries to Mr. Jim Birkitt at the Courtyard Marriott Rancho 
Cordova.  The telephone number of the team is (719) 332-1598.