Subject: UFMCC Response to Sentencing of Russell Henderson for Shepard Murder
From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 1999 19:22:49 EDT

From the News Service
of the Universal Fellowship of
Metropolitan Community Churches

A Statement By the 
Rev. Troy D. Perry
Moderator of UFMCC

On The Sentencing of
Russell Henderson for the Murder of Matthew Shepard

Russell A. Henderson has pleaded guilty to the felony murder, robbery and 
kidnaping of Matthew Shepard and has been sentenced to two consecutive life 
terms. I am thankful that the first of the two men charged with the murder of 
Matthew Shepard has been sentenced and that this phase of the ordeal is 
behind us. 

I believe the sentence of two consecutive life terms was appropriate and 
just. I have personally opposed the death penalty on moral and theological 
grounds. Acts of violence, no matter how unspeakable, should not give birth 
to additional acts of violence. Gandhi said, "To pursue and destroy an 
oppressor is merely to initiate a new cycle of violence and oppression."

While this plea and sentence close one phase of the murder trial, they are 
also important reminders of the need for hate crimes protection under the law.

With all the strides we have made in the GLBT communities, the murders of 
James Byrd, Matthew Shepard and Billy Jack Gaither offer horrifying testimony 
that gays, lesbians, bisexuals and transgendered persons are still denied 
equality and justice - and sometimes our lives. I have seen the FBI reports 
indicating that hate crimes based on sexual orientation rose by eight percent 
in 1997 and account for fourteen percent of all hate crimes committed in the 
US.

After thirty years of activism and ministry, I am still horrified that people 
choose to hate us -- and even kill us -- solely because of whom we choose to 
love.

On March 29th, I received a letter from US President Bill Clinton in which he 
noted, "As President, I have proposed legislation that would strengthen 
existing federal hate crimes law by: (1) expanding the Department of 
Justice's jurisdiction to prosecute defendants for violent crimes based on 
race, color, religion, or national origin; and (2) authorizing the DOJ to 
prosecute individuals who commit violent crimes against others because of the 
victim's sexual orientation, gender, or disability. I will also continue to 
speak out vigorously against these crimes."

At the same time, I encourage all citizens to continue working for passage of 
state hate crimes legislation. Regrettably, eight states still have no hate 
crimes laws at all and twenty-one states have hate crimes laws which do not 
include sexual orientation.

Today, I am renewing my call to gather 200,000 signatures of religious 
leaders and people of faith calling for passage of national hate crimes 
protection for gays, lesbians, bisexuals and transgendered persons.  We must 
take a stand and make our voices heard. We will present these petitions to 
the U.S. Congress during the Millennium March on Washington for Equality in 
April of 2000. 

I invite all people of goodwill to join us in the "200,000 by 2000" campaign 
to assure justice and protection for all citizens.

/signed/

The Rev. Troy D. Perry
Moderator of the Universal
Fellowship of Metropolitan Community Churches

(END)

(END)

FOR ADDITIONAL INFORMATION, CONTACT:
James N. Birkitt, Jr., UFMCC Communications Department
8704 Santa Monica Blvd.,  2nd Floor
West Hollywood, CA  90069

Tel. (310) 360-8640
Fax: (310) 360-8680

E-mail: [email-masked]

website: http://www.ufmcc.com