Subject: People of Faith Risk Arrest to Protest "Spiritual Violence" A
From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 1999 21:25:54 EST

A Soulforce News Alert (November 12, 1999)

PEOPLE OF FAITH TO RISK ARREST NOV.17
 TO PROTEST "SPIRITUAL VIOLENCE"
SOULFORCE CIVIL DISOBEDIENCE PLANNED FOR JIMMY CREECH TRIAL

Creech to Conduct Same-Sex Holy Union "Renewal" Nov. 16 as a "Witness to the 
World"

GRAND ISLAND, NE.  United Methodists who may have hoped to hide the second 
trial of the Rev. Jimmy Creech in far-off Grand Island, Nebraska, are not 
happy that Dr. Mel White and a Soulforce delegation from twenty states will 
be on hand 
(Nov.16-18) to protest this "spiritual violence against God's gay, lesbian, 
bisexual, and transgendered children."  Just three weeks ago, White and 
another Soulforce delegation made headlines with their historic Anti-Violence 
Summit with Jerry Falwell in Lynchburg, Virginia.

"Exercise your individual moral right.  Help us prevent this trial," White 
exclaims in a second Open Letter to the United Methodist Bishops and Jury 
assembling to try Jimmy Creech for conducting a same-sex holy union.  "Lock 
arms with us.  Be arrested with us.  Write your check for bail and one day, 
when you show that cancelled check to your lesbian granddaughter or gay 
grandson you can say proudly, 'I'm glad I didn't go up those steps to try 
Jimmy Creech.'  One day you'll hear Christ himself say, 'I'm glad, too.'" 

(Both letters and background materials can be found at:  www.soulforce.org).

On the eve of the trial, Tuesday, November 16, 1999, 7PM, the Rev. Jimmy 
Creech will conduct the same holy union for which he is being tried.  "We 
want this renewal of our vows to be a witness to the world," says James 
Raymer, the young gay man joined in matrimony to his partner, Larry Ellis, by 
the Rev. Jimmy Creech, April 24, 1999, in Chapel Hill, North Carolina. At the 
close of the service other gay and lesbian couples will step forward to have 
their vows rededicated as well. "If this is my last act as a United Methodist 
minister," the Rev. Jimmy Creech says, "I am glad that it is a celebration of 
God's love."

(The complete Holy Union service can be found at:  www.soulforce.org).

Because they could find no church in Grand Island to offer them sanctuary, 
the Soulforce Delegation will use the Holiday Inn Midtown as their 
headquarters. Soulforce is offering media access to all their events on 
Tuesday evening, Nov. 16, including "Advanced Training in Nonviolent 
Resistance" (4-6PM), The Holy Union Celebration (7PM), A Press Conference 
with Jimmy Creech, Mel White, the wedding party and special guests (8PM).  At 
9PM, the entire Soulforce delegation will move to the steps of the Trinity 
United Methodist Church (Elm and 5th) to begin a 24 hour candlelight vigil 
with a short service of prayer and mourning for the United Methodist Church 
(9:30-10PM).

On Wednesday morning (Nov. 17, 7AM) and for two hours before the trial is 
convened (9AM), every four minutes another couple from the Soulforce 
Delegation will block the entrance to the sanctuary turned tribunal in a 
symbolic act of civil disobedience.  The police have warned the delegates 
that after one minute of locked-arm silent protest each couple will be 
arrested.  The arrests will continue for two hours until the trial begins.  

Following the trial, if Jimmy Creech is found guilty, the Soulforce delegates 
will put on black armbands and end their vigil with a slow, silent procession 
carrying a tall red candle that symbolizes the Holy Spirit's departure from 
that place.  "How can Christ remain," Mel White asks in his Open Letter, 
"where any of God's children are no longer welcome?"

Contact:
MEL WHITE (949) 455-0999 (until 11/13) In Grand Island (11/14-19): (308) 
384-1330 or (949) 933-3592  [email-masked]  (Open Letters and Soulforce 
Data): www.soulforce.org 

JIMMY CREECH (Laura MontgomeryRutt) (717)627-7180 In Gr.Is. (308) 384-5150 
Cell: (949) 233-3592  [email-masked]  (Jimmy Creech & Trial Data): 
www.umaffirm.org/cornet/jcomaha.html

Holiday Inn Midtown in Grand Island, NE. (800) 548-5542 or (308) 384-1330
Trinity United Methodist Church (308)-382-1952  The Rev. James Keyser
United Methodist District Office (308) 384-0603 Dr. F. Cole Fowler, 
Superintendent
Grand Island Police Coordinator, Capt. William Holloway (308) 385-5400

Complete Press Kit at:
www.soulforce.org