Subject: News Release: MMOW Announces GLBT Vote 2000
From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 18:36:48 EST

N E W S   R E L E A S E

CONTACT: 
Donna Red Wing 202.216.1541
Ann DeGroot 612.822.0127, xt 107
Duane Cramer 415.836.2405
Nicole Ramirez-Murray 619.692.1967

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
09 February 1999

THE MILLENNIUM MARCH ON
WASHINGTON ANNOUNCES GLBT VOTE 2000

On Thursday, January 28 and Friday, January 29, the Board of Directors of the
Millennium March on Washington for Equality met in West Hollywood, California.

Mission Statement
The Board unanimously approved the mission statement of the MMOW.

"The mission of the Millennium March on Washington is to energize, mobilize
and activate the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender community, our
friends, our families and our allies."

GLBT Vote 2000
Co-chair Nicole Ramirez-Murray presented the concept of GLBT Vote 2000 to the
Board, and it was enthusiastically adopted. The MMOW Board of Directors agreed
that one of the best ways to achieve equality is through greater participation
in the democratic process. The Millennium March on Washington will promote
GLBT Vote 2000, a campaign that will encourage our constituencies to connect
with those groups throughout the nation who are engaged in the important work
of voter registration. GLBT vote 2000 will help to educate and mobilize gay,
lesbian, bisexual and transgendered people as well as our families, friends
and allies about the importance of registering to vote. GLBT Vote 2000 will
direct them to those organizations through web links, print and electronic
media and public events. It is our goal to educate, identify and help register
new voters all over the country in anticipation of the important 2000
elections.

Executive Producer Robin Tyler presented a comprehensive work plan as well as
a working budget. Both were accepted by the Board.

The Board nominated and approved three new Board members: Donna Red Wing,
National Field Director of the Human Rights Campaign; Ingrid M. Duran,
Executive Director of the Congressional Hispanic Caucus and Jose Alberto
Ucles, Assistant Director of Development at the Whitman-Walker Clinic.  The
Board accepted the resignation of Elizabeth Birch, Executive Director of HRC.

Co-Chairs Nicole Ramirez-Murray, Ann DeGroot and Duane Cramer will continue in
those roles. Donna Red Wing was also named a co-chair.

Town Hall Meetings Planned
The next meeting of the Board is scheduled for April 25-26 in Washington, DC.
Co-Chairs and committees will meet in Minneapolis, MN, on May 13-15.  That
meeting is scheduled to coincide with the annual meeting of the International
Gay & Lesbian Travel Association.  A Town Hall Meeting on the Millennium March
on Washington is scheduled for Thursday evening, May 13, in the Twin Cities.
The event is one of many anticipated Town Hall Meetings across the country.
The Board plans to meet with and connect to as many interested people as
possible and will recruit leaders and activists from all segments of our
community for inclusion in the Leadership Council.  That Council will work
directly with the Board to organize national state and local grassroots
activities in support of the MMOW and GLBT Vote 2000.

Anyone interested in serving on the Board of Directors or the MMOW Leadership
Council should send a letter of interest and a resume to: Duane Cramer, c/o
The NAMES Project AIDS Quilt, 310 Townsend Street, #310, San Francisco, CA
94107.

For additional information about the Millennium March on Washington, or to
become an endorsing organization, please contact our Executive Producer, Robin
Tyler, at MMOW, POB 65960, Washington, DC 20035.  You may call 202.296.9454.
FAX 202.296.9462.
Email: [email-masked]

The Millennium March on Washington Board of Directors

Donna Brazile
Chief of Staff - Hon. Eleanor Holmes Norton

Rea Carey
National Youth Advocacy Coalition

Charles Ching
Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation, former member of the Board

Duane Cramer
The NAMES Project AIDS Memorial Quilt

Ann DeGroot
OUTFront Minnesota

Ingrid Duran
Congressional Hispanic Caucus Institute

Dianne Hardy Garcia
Lesbian and Gay Rights Lobby of Texas

Kirsten Kingdon
Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays

Rabbi Jane Rachel Litman
The Freedom to Marry Coalition

Kerry Lobel
National Gay and Lesbian Task Force

David Medina
AFLCIO

Deborah Oakley-Melvin
Interpride

The Reverend Troy Perry
Universal Fellowship of Metropolitan Community Churches

Nicole Ramirez-Murray
National Latino/a Lesbian and Gay Organization (LLEGO)

Donna Red Wing
The Human Rights Campaign

Jose Alberto Ucles
Whitman Walker Clinic

Affiliations listed for identification purposes only.  

A list of endorsing organizations is available upon request.

(END)