Subject: OpEd Piece: The Millennium March (via LelioRisen News Service)
From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 12:56:19 EST

An Internet OpEd Piece

A Transforming Millennium 
Scott Miller

Last year, when plans were made for the Millennium March, the naysayers argued
that we did not need a national march and that energies should be focused on
one's individual state. The response to that was that we could do both, 1999
being the year for Equality Begins At Home. 

I think this week is a case in point as to why the Millennium March is needed.

While there have been many statewide activities planned for Equality Begins At
Home, I hardly think there has been anything thus far that has grabbed any
more media attention than you might find on Coming Out Day. There will be
grassroots work done at the state level, which is good....and much building
and planning will take place, but it is hardly the type of event which will
electrify and transform. In fact, I would be willing to guess that gay-themed
coverage in the press this week will be about the same as it always is. 

While these events are good in the long term scheme of things, we need a
moment. An event to rally us.

The Millennium March has the chance to get a strong media focus and electrify
the many who have yet to come out. Many closeted people, I am referring to
those who have yet to even deal with their sexuality, will probably not even
be aware of Equality Begins At Home. Especially in those states where our
visibility is poor to begin with. Do you think the same will be said for a
highly publicized event in Washington, DC that will excite a lot of our silent
brothers and sisters, when they learn the magnitude of the numbers alone? 

As for creating an atmosphere to influence and positively change the
perceptions of the heterosexual majority...a civil rights march, with a solid
focus and goals, can make an incredible difference. At the very least it
shines a spotlight...people then have the chance to be enlightened, or look
away. While the statewide work is important, I don't see events of such
magnitude that they can't be easily ignored by those who choose to keep us
invisible. That is why we need both a local and national presence.

At this point in our movement we need a lightning rod. An event to fire us up
and stir our passions for the fight ahead. We are under unprecedented attack
by the religious right. Additionally, there has been something of a
legislative backlash, to the point where even a horrific murder of a gay man
in Wyoming cannot inspire that state to establish hate crimes legislation. We
have been hurt by slanderous, homophobic rhetoric, to which we have yet to
effectively respond. We have been shocked by the extreme violence directed
against some of us. Crimes that have stunned a nation by their viciousness and
cruelty. There has been gradual, positive change taking place, but for every
small victory, we have to fight off a spate of attacks and occasional defeats.

Attitudes are changing, but the pace has slowed. We have the power to channel
our hurt, our hope, our aspirations and our boundless energy into a landmark
way of ushering in the 21st Century. A way which will make clear to our foes
that we will not allow our lives to be trampled upon....that we will not allow
ourselves and our families to be stuffed back behind a closet door. 

We need an event that will say to America and the global community that our
lives are valid and that we will no longer settle for the status of second
class citizenship. We need an event to allow us to channel our anger and
hostility into faith and hope. To raise up ourselves and to raise up our
invisible brothers and sisters who are in desperate need of a movement and a
moment. 

We have had our fill of disappointment and tragedy. It is time for us to take
control and move up to the next level. To that end, let us put our differences
behind us and make a statement. Let's allow the Millennium March to lift us to
a glorious new beginning for our civil rights movement. If we don't seize the
opportunity, we risk diminishing whatever we accomplish in this week of
Equality Begins At Home. I am confident that we will not allow that to happen
and our brightest days lie shining just ahead. 

NOTE: For permission to reproduce, contact Scott Miller at [email-masked]

(END)