Subject: For Immediate Release - Lynchburg Dialogue Begins
From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 1999 19:00:12 EDT

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE 

CONTACT:
Maaza Mengiste, Communications Director
UFMCC
(310) 360-8640 
[email-masked]  
http://www.ufmcc.com 

World Watches Soulforce in Lynchburg 

Lynchburg, VA - October 21, 1999 - In three days, the religious world will 
take a step back to analyze the historic dialogue that took place in 
Lynchburg, VA on October 23.  That is the day when the Rev. Jerry Falwell, 
one of America's most conservative and most outspoken religious leaders, will 
meet with the Rev. Mel White, a credentialed MCC clergy and co-founder of 
Soulforce, Inc., an ecumenical group that applies principles of nonviolence 
to advance gay rights.   They will discuss how to end the "war of words" that 
has characterized the conversations between Rev. Jerry Falwell and the gay 
community.  

Right now, however, a delegation of 200 individuals, brought by Rev. Mel 
White and Soulforce, and 200 of Rev. Jerry Falwell's Baptist friends and 
associates are caught up in the midst of a media frenzy that is making 
international and national news.  The Rev. Mel White will appear on Good 
Morning America this coming Friday, Oct. 22; he will be on the Saturday editio
n of the Today Show, and will also be on PBS.   The New York Times, 
Washington Post and Village Voice have major stories on this event and he has 
met with editors from Time magazine and U.S. News & World Report.

Much of Soulforce's activities for that weekend will take shape in the form 
of community outreach.  The Soulforce delegation is contributing $20,000 to 
Habitat for Humanity in Lynchburg and will donate cans and packages of food 
to Lynchburg food banks.  There will also be a candle light vigil and 
memorial services for victims of hate crimes.  The world is taking notice of 
these courageous acts of peaceful demonstration - especially the opposition.

Bob Kunst, a gay activist from Florida feels that " White has compromised 
himself and is trying to take the rest of us down with him" with to his 
willingness to have a conversation with Falwell.  On the other hand, Fred 
Phelps of "GodHatesFags.com" condemns both Falwell and White for the event 
and feels that in meeting with people who commit acts that are `worthy of 
death', Falwell commits an even greater sin.  

Members of the Soulforce delegation will participate in advanced training in 
nonviolence.  They will also be armed with the prayers and well wishes of 
thousands who were not able to attend this event.

The Rev. Elder Nancy Wilson, Vice Moderator of UFMCC, said, "I'm thrilled 
that Rev. Mel White is bringing Soulforce to bear on one of this country's 
most outspoken conservative religious leaders, the Rev. Jerry Falwell.  We 
applaud the willingness of both Rev. Jerry Falwell and Mel White to 
participate in this dialogue."  She reminisces on her debate with Rev. 
Falwell several years ago on the Ron Reagan, Jr. Show, "We must move from 
debate to dialogue.  We believe this event will create a reduction in 
religious hate rhetoric.  I applaud the 200 courageous people who are 
participating in this historic event."

There's an international presence at the event, too.  The Rev. Elder Hong 
Tan, Pastor of MCC London, is in Lynchburg representing both the Universal 
Fellowship of Metropolitan Community Churches' (UFMCC) Board of Elders and 
the General Council.  He stated, "UFMCC endorses and celebrates this 
courageous effort.  We're very proud of Rev. Mel White, the former UFMCC 
Justice Minister and current MCCLA member.  He and his delegation of 200 are 
sending a clear message to the world that peaceful and positive 
demonstrations, in the spirit of Gandhi and Martin Luther King, Jr. can still 
get results even today."

To remain updated on the events in Lynchburg, Virginia, go to http://www.soulf
orce.org.  You can also reach Rev. Mel White via email at [email-masked]