Subject: Lesbian & Gay Bands Endorse MMOW 2000
From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 1999 19:36:14 EDT

From The News Service
of the Universal Fellowship of
Metropolitan Community Churches

Lesbian & Gay Bands of America
Endorse Millennium March On Washington

Statement by the Rev. Troy D. Perry:

Lesbian and Gay Bands of America, the national (US) organization comprised of 
concert and marching bands from across the country, is the latest to jump on 
the band wagon for the upcoming March on Washington for Equality scheduled 
for April 30, 2000.

The 22 member bands appear in hundreds of concerts, parades, and community 
events every year. Through their musical performance, LGBA bands make a 
powerful political statement in a non-political way by promoting music as a 
medium of communication among people.  

For over 18 years the bands in the organization have  been sources of pride 
in their cities and have dedicated their performances to demonstrating that 
people of different sexes, ages, creeds, races, and challenges can build a 
strong community.

This will be the fourth national (USA) March on Washington in the history of 
the gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgendered justice movement. MMOW will take 
place on April 30, 2000 on the Mall in Washington, DC. Organizers have called 
for the March on Washington to be as broad and diverse as are all of our GLBT 
communities.

Lesbian and Gay Bands of America join a growing roster of organizational 
endorsers, including but not limited to A&U Magazine, the  ACLU Foundation of 
Southern California, American Baptists Concerned, American Psychological 
Association (Div. 44), Apple Lambda, Camp Sister Spirit, Chi Rho Press, 
Christian Science Lesbians, Chrysalis Transgendered Organizations, Coastal 
Pride of Florida, College Democrats, Companion Press, Dignity USA, Equality 
Under Alaska Law, Evangelical Anglican Church, Feminist Majority, Gay and 
Lesbian Medical Association, Gay and Lesbian Parents Coalition, Gay, Lesbian 
& Bisexual Veterans of America, Gay Wired, GenderPAC, Hay Foundation, Human 
Rights Campaign, IBM Employee Diversity Network, Independent Western Rite 
Catholic Church, International Foundation for Gender Education, International 
Transgender Law Conference, Interpride Association of Pride Groups, Lambda 
Aloha, LLEGO, Maryland Gay Resource Network, National Association of Social 
Workers (Maryland Chapter), National Center for Lesbian Rights, National 
Coalition for Sexual Freedom, National Organization for Women, Old Lesbians 
Organizing for Change, Out & About Newsletter, Out Front Minnesota, PFLAG, 
PlanetOut, Prodigy's Rainbow Universe, Q Spirit, San Francisco Pride, Serra 
Project, Triangle Survival Network, UFMCC, UMSL Feminist Majority Leadership 
Alliance, Unity Fellowship Church Movement, William Way LGBT Community 
Center, Women In The Moon Publishers.

Additional information on the Millennium March on Washington is available by 
writing to Robin Tyler, Executive Producer, at MMOW, Post Office Box 65960, 
Washington, DC  20035. E-mail messages may be sent to [email-masked]

Yours,
The Rev. Troy D. Perry
Moderator of UFMCC

(END)

For Additional Information, Contact:
UFMCC Communications Department
8704 Santa Monica Blvd.,  2nd Floor
West Hollywood, CA  90069
Tel. (310) 360-8640, Ext. 226
Fax: (310) 360-8680
E-mail: [email-masked]
website: http://www.ufmcc.com