Subject: FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: UFMCC HEARTENED BY VERMONT RULING, VOWS
From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 1999 12:29:32 EST

NEWS RELEASE

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

CONTACT:
Ms. Maaza Mengiste, UFMCC
Director of Communications
(310) 360-8640 x226
[email-masked]
http://www.ufmcc.com

UFMCC HEARTENED BY VERMONT RULING, VOWS CONTINUED FIGHT

West Hollywood, CA - December 20, 1999 - The Universal Fellowship of
Metropolitan Community Churches (UFMCC), the world's largest gay and lesbian
organization with more than 41,000 members in 21 countries and 310
congregations around the world,  was pleased by the recent ruling by the 
Vermont Supreme Court to offer same-sex couples the benefits and protection 
of heterosexual married couples.   

However, UFMCC understands that this victory is a small step in the journey 
to full civil rights for all gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgendered persons 
- the court has yet to determine whether these protections will come through 
formal marriage or a system of domestic partnerships.  Same-sex couples have 
not yet won the battle of inclusion within the marriage laws. 

For over 31 years the Universal Fellowship of Metropolitan Community Churches 
has fought for the rights of the gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgendered 
community to be able to marry.  This is an historical moment in the USA but 
the battle is not over. 

The Rev. Troy D. Perry, Moderator and founder of UFMCC states, "We thank God 
for this victory, but I also urge all of you to pray with me that we will one 
day have laws that truly protect each and every one of us. I look forward to 
seeing all of you at the Millennium March on Washington April 29-30, 2000 in 
Washington, DC as we stand together to demand from our government all our 
civil rights."