Subject: "Equality Begins At Home" Launches Interfaith Outreach
From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 1999 15:11:34 EST

TO:  All GLBT-Friendly Faith Communities

FROM:  Rev. Elder Troy Perry

RE: Interfaith Outreach Through "Equality Begins At Home"

Dear Faith Leaders:

"Equal Partners In Faith," an ecumenical and interfaith alliance headquartered
in Washington, DC., is collecting endorsements from all houses of faith for
its "Proclamation by People of Faith for the Full Equality of Lesbian, Gay,
Bisexual and Transgender People."

The Proclamation, which you will find below, will be used to observe the
"Equality Begins At Home" actions, the 50 state initiatives taking place March
21-27, 1999.

We invite all houses of faith to adopt the Proclamation and be added to the
list of local faith communities taking a bold stand for spiritual justice.

In fact, here are three ways you can assist with this national project:

STEP ONE
To take part in this national program, simply cut-and-paste the Proclamation
into an e-mail, add your church's name and contact information at the end and
send it by e-mail to [email-masked] or by postal mail to Equal Partners In
Faith, 2026 P Street NW, Washington, DC  20036.

STEP TWO
Add a note to your e-mail. Ask Equal Partners In Faith to add your church to
their e-mail or postal mailing lists to keep you informed of congregational
resources, local organizing opportunities, positive alternatives to counter
the divisive agenda of the Religious Right, etc. This organization can be an
excellent resource for your congregation or community.

STEP THREE
Distribute the Proclamation to other GLBT-friendly churches, welcoming and
affirming congregations, etc. Invite them to join you in this national project
by endorsing the Proclamation and returning it to Equal Partners In Faith.

This is an effective way to show our united support as communities of faith
and to contribute to the success of "Equality Begins At Home.

/signed/
The Rev. Elder Troy D. Perry, 
Moderator of UFMCC

Sign below and return to [email-masked]

*******************************************
Proclamation
by People of Faith
For the Full Equality of Lesbian,
Gay, Bisexual and Transgender People
*******************************************

As committed people of faith representing diverse religions, creeds,
nationalities, genders and sexual orientations, we join together to celebrate
March 21-27, as “The Week of Equality for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and
Transgender People.”  We join in solidarity with the hundreds of thousands who
will celebrate Equality Begins At Home across the United States, a national
campaign to strengthen and unite the lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and
ally communities.

Tragically many LGBT people have repeatedly endured fear, suffering and even
rejection by those in positions of power and leadership.  As people of faith,
we know too well the discrimination, homophobia and hatred that exist in our
communities of faith leaving in their wake broken and hurting souls longing
for a healing balm.  We confess that our faith communities have betrayed the
dignity and respect of LGBT persons and humbly ask for forgiveness.

We further pledge that in our daily living beyond today, we will work
relentlessly to foster an environment of growth, acceptance and full equality
for LGBT persons wherever we may have cause and reason to speak.  We solemnly
recognize that we are to be held accountable for championing the rights and
welfare of those who have been dismissed or marginalized by society. We pray
that our united voices may begin the process of healing, offer hope to the
disheartened and restore the broken trust in our communities.  Because we hold
to the belief that the Divine is the Sustaining Source of genuine love, we in
return offer the richness of that love to all LGBT people in our homes, our
communities and in our houses of worship.

Many LGBT people find love and acceptance in their faith communities. We
applaud those people who have served as pioneers in our communities and lift
up their efforts as a paradigm for the full equality of LGBT people.  In
joining with our fellow sisters and brothers celebrating Equality Begins at
Home, we affirm that LGBT people are indeed created in the image of God,
deserving of mutual love and respect.  Our continued prayer is that one day
intolerance, ignorance, bigotry and violence against all of God's children
will be eradicated from the very places where compassion and peace should
reign.  Until that day we stand in one voice, one spirit and one hope for the
full equality of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people. 

Respectfully,
/Sign Here/

Please return with your name, address and email, and
please circulate to others, on and off the Internet.

Name:
Address:
Email:
Phone:

Return to: [email-masked]

Equal Partners in Faith
2026 P Street NW
Washington, DC  20036
(202) 296-4672 ext. 14
(202) 296-4673 fax
http://www.us.net/epf

We encourage you to use this proclamation at houses of worship, interfaith
services, and read it at the EBAH rallies, if desired.

--------------------------------------------
EQUAL PARTNERS IN FAITH is a multi-racial network
of religious leaders and people of faith committed to
equality and diversity.  Our diverse faith traditions and
shared  religious values lead us to affirm and defend the
equality of all people, regardless of religion, race, gender or
sexual orientation.  As people of faith, we actively oppose
the  manipulation of religion to promote exclusion and
inequality.

EQUAL PARTNERS IN FAITH is helping people of faith
promote a more inclusive vision of religion and society.
Please join us in this important work.  Write, call or email
us for more information.

(END)

FOR ADDITIONAL INFORMATION, CONTACT:
UFMCC Communications Department
8704 Santa Monica Blvd.,  2nd Floor
West Hollywood, CA  90069

Tel. (310) 360-8640
Fax: (310) 360-8680

E-mail: [email-masked]

website: http://www.ufmcc.com