Subject: Another Warning from Hitler's Third Reich for GLBT People (Dr. Mel
From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 1999 14:04:07 EDT

ANOTHER WARNING FROM HITLER'S THIRD REICH FOR GLBT PEOPLE
Mel White, Soulforce, Inc. (www.soulforce.org)

On June 26, the Huntington Library in Pasadena, California, announced the 
first public exhibition of the Nuremberg papers. Signed by Adolf Hitler 
himself, the original documents have been on file since they were donated by 
General George Patton in 1945.  Hitler decreed these brief laws to guarantee 
the "racial purity" of his Third Reich.  They redefined the role of Jews in 
Germany and opened the doors to holocaust.

"I felt like I was viewing the first draft of the death warrant that led to 
the demise of one-third of world Jewry," said Dr. Uri Herscher. "Once 
deportation began" added UCLA professor Saul Friedlander, "these laws 
determined who would live and who would die."

The four primary paragraphs were published this morning in the Los Angeles 
Times.  I was stunned by their familiarity. The minute they are on display, 
Gary and I will be there to see them.  I hope I won't embarrass him with 
involuntary tears.  We should publish them in every GLBT paper in the country 
with the warning: It could happen again!

Paragraph 1: Ended the right of Jews to marry freely.  
Sounds like a reason to work even harder to defeat the "Antigay Marriage" 
laws.

Paragraph 2: Ended the right of Jews to have sexual intercourse freely.  
Sounds like a reason to continue our efforts to rescind the "Sodomy" laws.

Paragraph 3. Ended the right of Jews to employee or be employed freely.  
Sounds like a reason to support ENDA, the Employment Nondiscrimination Act.

Paragraph 4. Ended the right of Jews to display/serve the nation's flag 
freely. Sounds like a reason to seek that promised executive order from 
President Clinton to end the ban on gays in the military at last.

While we're celebrating all our hard-earned victories (and we deserve the 
time to celebrate), we need to remember that Berlin in the 1930s was the most 
gay-friendly city in the world.  How quickly life as cabaret became a 
nightmare of suffering and death.

Too many of us believe our adversaries are fools who are only using us to 
raise funds and mobilize volunteers. In fact they are sincere believers, 
determined to end our rights. 

Too many of us think that it is NOT important for us to contribute time and 
money to help continue our struggle for equal rights.  In fact any one of our 
primary adversaries raises more money every month in part to end those rights 
than our entire community raises in a year to preserve and protect them.

Too many of us think the danger is passed and that time is on the side of 
justice.  
In fact Dr. King made it very clear. "Time is on the side of injustice."  

Even if Pat Robertson, Jerry Falwell, James Dobson and the others look to you 
like extremists who are losing power, their anti-homosexual rhetoric is 
reaching critical mass in the homes and churches of our childhood.  Let these 
documents remind us that it could happen again.  Our "Nuremberg Laws" are in 
place or on the ballot.  All it would take is for you or for me to do nothing.

____________________________
In 1997, the Rev. Dr. Mel White received the ACLU's National Civil Liberties 
Award for applying the 'soul force' principles of Gandhi and King to the 
liberation of sexual minorities. He is a co-founder of Soulforce, Inc.and the 
author of Stranger at the Gate: To Be Gay and Christian in America.  

Mel invites you to take a complimentary, 8-week, 17-email Journey into 
Soulforce to learn the principles of nonviolent resistance as taught by 
Gandhi and King. 

[email-masked] www.soulforce.org  www.melwhite.org F: (949) 455-0959

OK to Publish
Please fax copy of published piece to (949) 455-0999
Thanks
Photos at www.melwhite.org or www.soulforce.org