Subject: Will Justice Be Denied to a Black Lesbian?
From: UfmccHq <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 1998 11:55:33 EDT

Dear Friends,

Please share this story with anyone else who
might be concerned about social justice.

Peace,
Stephanie Burns
Micah Ministries, Co-Coordinator
MCC of Northern Virginia

FOR ADDITIONAL INFORMATION ON THIS STORY,
OR TO ARRANGE FOR INTERVIEWS, PLEASE REPLY 
BY E-MAIL TO:  [email-masked]

***************************************************************************
PRAY FOR JUSTICE

Prayer Vigil for Domica Winkler

Wednesday, April 29, 1998
8 p.m. to 9 p.m. at
Metropolitan Community Church of Northern Virginia
located at:  10383 Democracy Lane, Fairfax, VA  22030

Domica Winkler was convicted of capital murder, abduction and robbery on
January 15, 1998 for her role in the murder of Stacey Hanna.  The jury had
deliberated for less than two hours when it came back with the
recommendation for the death penalty.

At this point in time, of the four women charged in this case, Domica has
been the only one to receive the recommendation for the death penalty,
despite all evidence suggesting equal involvement in the murder by all of
the defendants. Domica Winkler is the only African American defendant.
Juries for Domica Winkler's case and Tracy Bitner's (the second defendant
to go to trial) received different instructions on how to interpret the VA
death penalty statute, despite the objection of Winkler's attorney.

Domica's guilt is not in question, nor is the issue of the need for her to
be held accountable for her actions.  What is at issue is EQUAL JUSTICE.
The Prayer Vigil has been scheduled to take place the night before Judge
Herbert Gill sentences Domica.  Micah Ministries asks you to demonstrate
your support for equal justice and mercy for Domica.

Sponsored by Micah Ministries;
Metropolitan Community Church of Northern Virginia?s
Justice, Outreach and Evangelism Ministry

"and what does God require?  To do justice, love mercy, and walk humbly
with your God."  Micah 6:8

For more information, please call MCC NOVA at (703) 691-0930,
or e-mail at [email-masked],
or visit MCC NOVA?s web site, www.mccnova.com

PRAY FOR MERCY