Subject: UFMCC NEWS UPDATE: Phelps Pickets MCC San Francisco
From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 2 Jun 1998 20:13:44 EDT

N E W S  U P D A T E
From The Universal Fellowship
of Metropolitan Community Churches

ON SUNDAY EVENING...
...May 31, the Rev. Fred Phelps, the notorious anti-gay crusader, picketed the
predominantly gay Metropolitan Community Church of San Francisco. He has
previously picketed Spirit of Hope MCC (Kansas City, MO), MCC Topeka (Topeka,
KS) and Gentle Souls MCC (Phoenix, AZ). Phelps and his followers taunted and
harassed worshipers with signs such as "AIDS Cures Fags."

On Sunday evening, the San Francisco community and the members of MCC San
Francisco rallied in a show of spiritual strength and unity. Here is a first-
person account by the Rev. Jim Mitulski, co-pastor of MCC San Francisco:

REPORT BY THE REV. JIM MITULSKI:
Last night, MCC San Francisco was picketed by 15 or so members of the Westboro
Baptist Church from Topeka, KS.  While we still wonder how these wayward
fundamentalists found themselves from Topeka to Eureka (Street), we still had
an extraordinary blessing in the midst of it.

In the morning services, the Rev. Penny Nixon preached a sermon based on
Romans 12 about Christian non-violence.  Drawing on the historical lesson of
the Student Non-Violent Coordinating Committee and its theological principles,
and her own experience working in South Africa, Nixon articulated principles
that would end up guiding the day and shaping our response in the evening.

It was an eerie sight to see dozens of police officers and vehicles begin to
mass on quiet little Eureka Street as evening approached. This was offset by
the cheering sight of supporters from around the neighborhood and around the
Bay Area who also began to gather peacefully to express solidarity. Persons
and groups who identified themselves included people from  Pacific School of
Religion, Trinity United Methodist Church in Berkeley, First Unitarian Church
in Oakland, St. John's United Church of Christ, Golden Gate MCC and Dolores
Street Baptist Church in San Francisco.  It was comforting to hear and see
that we were not alone.

As prepared as I thought I was for this, it was still shocking to stand on the
steps of MCC San Francisco and see signs waving such as "AIDS Cures Fags"
etc...

By 7:00 PM the Westboro Baptists were on their way without real incident, and
people gathered inside the church for an unforgettable service.  I, too,
preached on Romans 12, posing the question, "God Loves Queers...do we?"  The
music was the usual professional quality; when Jack St. John sang the solo for
"We are Standing on Holy Ground" and the congregation joined the chorus , we
knew beyond a doubt that we were on holy (and protected) ground. The building
was once again packed beyond capacity for the fifth time this year; it was so
packed we could only pass communion in the pews because there was no room for
people to maneuver. The hallways inside and outside were also filled. 

We felt very protected by  guardian angels in the room and the prayers of
people sent from around the world via email as a result of Troy Perry's
supportive letter that also went out via e-mail.

I hope never to see Phelps et. al. at MCC San Francisco - or anywhere - but I
am also grateful for the many blessings we received during this highly
stressful period, and the support we received from others.

/signed/
Jim Mitulski

(END)

FOR ADDITIONAL INFORMATION, CONTACT:
James N. Birkitt, Jr.
UFMCC Communications Department
8704 Santa Monica Blvd.,  2nd Floor
West Hollywood, CA  90069

Tel. (310) 360-8640
Fax: (310) 360-8680

E-mail: [email-masked]

website: http://www.ufmcc.com