Subject: Truth & Justice Rally To Confront Catholic Church on Sept. 17
From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 1998 18:47:01 EDT

NEWS RELEASE

For Immediate Release: September 10, 1998

Call For
Truth And Justice
Rally
To Commence

    A significant amount of anticipation is growing surrounding the upcoming
Call For Truth And Justice Rally which will be held on Thursday, September
17th.   "This rally will be a bold and truthful statement about God's love and
call for all people to offer a passionate response," said the Rev. Ron Helms,
pastor of Open Arms Metropolitan Community Church and organizer of the event.
Helms added, "We call for all people of faith to come together on Thursday,
September 17, 1998 at 6:30 PM to support those who will be gathering for the
commencement of the 5TH Annual Conference of the National Association of
Catholic Diocesan Lesbian and Gay Ministries." 

    The "Call For Truth And Justice" is a peaceful rally, which will be held
outside the Sheraton Four Points Hotel at 120 East Main Street in downtown
Rochester.  At this rally, participants will speak in one voice and pray for
civil rights and social justice for gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgendered
people.   The rally commences 30 minutes before Bishop Matthew H. Clark
welcomes the conference participants.

    Among key speakers will be the Rev. Elizabeth Banks, parish minister of
the First Universalist Church in downtown Rochester.  Banks said, "I have
chosen to speak in sympathy with this conference to demonstrate my conviction
that people need to stand side-by-side in offering ministerial leadership to
the world.  I stand with others of faith to encourage all denominations to
offer spiritual inspiration to men and women of all sexual orientations.
Banks further added, "…I would wish for a place to be set at the communion
table for all who wish to receive."

    Rev. Ron Helms said, "On September 17th, we will speak in a bold voice
that God calls us to work together toward greater justice.  We will come
together, sing songs of hope, and pray for unity and understanding.  I hope
that the masses come bearing their BANNERS and SIGNS OF SUPPORT for this
event."

    Anyone who is interested in participating in "A Call For Truth And
Justice" or would like more information may call the office of Open Arms
Metropolitan Community Church at (716) 271-8478.  

(End)

For More Information, Contact:
Rev Ron Helms, Pastor, or
Open Arms Metropolitan Community Church
175 Norris Drive
Rochester, NY 14610

Tel. (716) 271-8478, office and fax
E-mail: OAMCC [email-masked]

ADDENDUM:  Open Arms Metropolitan Community Church is affiliated with the
Universal Fellowship of Metropolitan Community Churches. The UFMCC was founded
in 1968 by the Reverend Troy Perry, and claims more than 42,000 members and
adherents in over 300 congregations in 15 countries. This fellowship is the
largest Christian denomination with a primary ministry to gay and lesbian
people. Locally, Open Arms MCC has been in existence for seventeen years with
ministry to the Greater Rochester Community.