Subject: UFMCC's Troy Perry Condemns "Ex-Gay" Ad In New York Times
From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 1998 21:06:57 EDT

N E W S   R E L E A S E
from the Universal Fellowship
of Metropolitan Community Churches

PUBLIC STATEMENT BY
THE REVEREND TROY D. PERRY
Moderator of UFMCC

July 13, 1998

BACKGROUNDER:
The July 13 edition of the New York Times carries a full-page ad offering to
help  homosexuals convert to heterosexuality and offering this as God's plan.
The ad was paid for by 15 far-right groups including Alliance for Traditional
Marriage, American Family Association, Center for Reclaiming America,
Christian Coalition, Concerned Women for America, Coral Ridge Ministries, etc.

The following is a statement by the Rev. Troy D. Perry, Moderator of the
Universal Fellowship of Metropolitan Community Churches, the world's largest
and oldest spiritual organization with a primary affirming ministry to gays,
lesbians, bisexuals and transgendered persons.

TEXT OF STATEMENT BY REV. PERRY:
I am today adding my voice to religious leaders and human rights activists
across the US in condemning the false and misleading full page ad in the July
13 edition of the New York Times promoting so-called "ex-gay" ministries.

My 30 years of experience in ministering to gays, lesbians, bisexuals and
transgendered persons have convinced me beyond any doubt that God's creation
is filled with infinite variety and diversity -- and that variety and
diversity are innate parts of God's plan. This plan includes every one of
God's gay and lesbian children.

The ad carries a bold headline proclaiming, "I'm living proof that Truth can
set you free." As an openly gay Christian, I, too, can make that claim, as can
hundreds of thousands of deeply spiritual gays and lesbians with whom I have
ministered, served and worshiped over the past three decades. Ancient
spiritual truths, liberated from personal bias and  societal prejudice, can
bring liberating freedom to all people, regardless of sexual orientation.

The list of the ad's sponsors reads like a "Who's Who" of right-wing
intolerance. We should be reminded that no group has a lock on "The Truth,"
and should be skeptical of any group which combines their claims of "truth"
with intolerance, shame, control and political agendas.

My attention was especially was drawn at a line at the bottom of the ad which
read, "If you really love someone, you'll tell them the truth."

Well, here's the truth for God's gay and lesbian children, and I'm not afraid
to tell it:

-- God loves you as you are.

-- God created you as you are, and God's creation is good.

-- To deny the essence of who you are, your gayness, leads only to inner
turmoil and emotional conflict.

-- To embrace yourself just as God as created you is the path of emotional
wholeness and spiritual health.

-- The true message of the Holy Scriptures is affirming and accepting of gays
and lesbians. 

Thank God that in spite of the intolerance shown by groups such as the
Christian Coalition, the American Family Association, and the Family Research
Council with their far right political agendas, there are also thousands of
houses of worship in every faith tradition which welcome and affirm gays,
lesbians, bisexuals and transgendered persons.

As a spiritual leader, I welcome inquiries from gays and lesbians seeking to
integrate their spirituality and sexuality, and who wish referrals to GLBT-
friendly houses of worship. I will be glad to provide referrals to all
inquirers, whether they seek accepting Christian houses of worship as in my
own faith tradition, or seek other affirming faith communities. I may be
reached by e-mail at [email-masked].

/signed/
(The Rev.) Troy D. Perry
UFMCC Moderator

FOR ADDITIONAL INFORMATION, CONTACT:
James N. Birkitt, Jr.
UFMCC Communications Department
8704 Santa Monica Blvd.,  2nd Floor
West Hollywood, CA  90069

Tel. (310) 360-8640
Fax: (310) 360-8680

E-mail: [email-masked]

website: http://www.ufmcc.com