Subject: A Soulforce Response To Anti-Gay Ad Campaign
From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 1 Aug 1998 23:04:36 EDT

A Social Justice Resource Kit
Prepared By The 
Universal Fellowship of
Metropolitan Community Churches
http://www.ufmcc.com

A SOULFORCE RESPONSE
TO THE ANTI-HOMOSEXUAL AD CAMPAIGN
Dr. Mel White, UFMCC Justice Minister

In the past few weeks, fundamentalist Christian organizations have escalated
 their attacks on lesbian and gay Americans. Millions of dollars are being
 spent to convince the nation that we are "sick" and "sinful," that we can and
 should be "cured," that our rights and protections should be denied, and that
 any political or religious leader who supports us should be condemned and any
 business or city that comes to our aid should be cut off.

We are tempted to answer these misinforming voices with equally colorful
 soundbites of our own; however rushing to do battle with angry words and
 clenched fists will not help our cause. Doubting their integrity or debating
 their motives is another dead end. We must not react, but we must respond. The
 anti-homosexual rhetoric leads to intolerance, suffering, and death for gay,
 lesbian, bisexual, and transgendered Americans. It must be confronted and the
 Soulforce principles of relentless nonviolent resistance of Gandhi and King
 show us how.

First, when untruth threatens, we respond with truth.

There is a positive side to this series of full page anti-homosexual ads in
 America’s major newspapers. One of my non-religious, heterosexual friends was
 enraged by their blatant untruth. "How can they say these things?" he asked.
 In fact, they’ve been saying these things for years but saying them virtually
 in secret on their TV and radio programs, in their direct mail campaigns and
 fundraising appeals. 

Now, the untruth is out there where our friends and neighbors can read it for
 themselves and though the untruth confuses many it will also win allies to our
 cause. We have one task only: respond to the untruth with truth. Before you
 respond to the ads, read them carefully. Find the statements that are clearly
 untrue, and answer them with truth. And where they speak the truth, even if
 painful, we must acknowledge it. They have invited us to "a new national
 discussion of homosexuality."  Let’s accept!

Second, when untruth threatens, we respond with truth in love.

Soulforce is founded on Jesus’ words: "Love your enemies." Gandhi defines that
 love as refusing violent actions, violent words, even violent thoughts against
 our adversaries.  King said love must control fist, tongue, and heart. To win
 the minds and hearts of the nation,  our community must take the moral high
 ground. We must learn to out-love those who caricature and condemn us. We
 should consider giving up our angry chants and nasty gestures, our mean-
 spirited banners and inflammatory T-shirts, our belligerent marches and fiery
 speeches. These are acts of violence and meeting untruth with violence only
 escalates the war.

I know the men and women behind these ads - Pat Robertson,  James Dobson, Gary
 Bauer, D. James Kennedy, Beverly LaHaye. Whatever their motives, they truly
 believe that we are sick, sinful, and a threat to the nation,  that we can and
 should be "cured."  They have not taken seriously the scientific, historic,
 and biblical research that demonstrates clearly that God created us and loves
 us exactly as we are. It is our job to help them discover this new truth.

Just decades ago, many of our current adversaries were misusing the Bible to
 support segregation. The folks behind these anti-homosexual ads are as
 ignorant about homosexuals as Governor Wallace and Sheriff "Bull" Conner were
 ignorant about African-Americans. King didn’t yell back at his enemies. He
 didn’t call them bigots or liars. He didn’t waste time hating them or plotting
 their destruction. Dr. King demonstrated the truth about African-Americans by
 his loving response to the untruth.  We must demonstrate the truth about
 homosexuals by the way we respond to the war of words being waged against us.
 We must not hate or fear those who misunderstand us. We must lovingly liberate
 them from the untruth that holds them hostage.

Third, when untruth threatens, we respond with truth in love relentlessly.

We will not confront the untruth effectively until we have responded with
 relentless determination. For too long it’s been a war of words. They launch
 their missives.  We counterstrike. They take out ads. We respond with ads of
 our own or we hold a rally, a demonstration, a benefit, or a one day march;
 then thinking we have advanced the cause, we all go out to party. Soulforce
 calls us to a far more difficult and demanding task.  

First, we make a list of their dangerous and deadly untruths. Second, we do
 our homework, preparing our answers to each untruth with carefully researched
 truth. Third, we accept their offer of "a new national discussion of
 homosexuality" and ask them to join us at the table in a mutual  search for
 truth. Fourth, if they refuse to join us at the table; or if, when there, they
 refuse to negotiate seriously an end to their anti-homosexual campaign, we
 take direct nonviolent actions that will convince them (and the nation) of our
 sincerity and compel them to join us at the table.

Look at the fifteen organizations listed at the bottom of these anti-
 homosexual ads.  These are the nation’s primary sources of misinformation, not
 just about homofolk but about other minorities, the Constitution, the Bill of
 Rights, and the separation of church and state. We must surround these
 organizations with truth in love relentlessly, not just for our sake but for
 the future of this nation. One day protests will not do it.  Ad campaigns will
 fail. No one cares if our one day marches are bigger than their marches.  In
 South Africa and India, Gandhi led his people in relentless direct actions to
 demonstrate their sincerity and to win friends to their cause. Refusing to
 give up until their truth prevailed, King’s "children" faced water hoses,
 police dogs, beatings, jail terms, and lynchings. Our time has come. We are
 second class citizens in our own country. Our freedom is at stake. Our lives
 are on the line. It is time for a new strategy of relentless nonviolent
 resistance.

Gandhi and King both began their civil rights campaigns by training their
 allies in nonviolence. Marchers signed vows that carefully proscribed behavior
 or they weren’t allowed to march. Direct actions, once begun, were not ended
 until the goal was accomplished even if it meant imprisonment, suffering and
 death.

We must re-discover and apply their Soulforce rules. I don’t know what will
 happen to us and to our allies when we take nonviolence seriously. Gandhi says
 "Just take the first step and the rest will follow."  It is time to try.
 Thinking ourselves safe in our closets, we are sleeping through a revolution.
 The Soulforce guidelines are clear. Truth cannot prevail until those who hold
 that truth are willing to live and die for it. 

NOTES:
Please feel free to forward to your e-mail network of friends.
Permission is granted to publish, reprint and distribute this information

For more information on Soulforce or Mel's Soulforce videos contact:
Soulforce, Inc.,  PO Box 4467, Laguna Beach, CA. 92652 
Fax: (949) 455-0959  Office Phone: (310) 360-8640  
[email-masked]  www.melwhite.org

(END)

FOR ADDITIONAL INFORMATION, CONTACT:
James N. Birkitt, Jr., Director of Communications
UFMCC
8704 Santa Monica Blvd.,  2nd Floor
West Hollywood, CA  90069

Tel. (310) 360-8640
Fax: (310) 360-8680
E-mail: [email-masked] or [email-masked]

website: http://www.ufmcc.com