Subject: Rev. Troy Perry Calls For Apology From Senator Lott
From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 1998 18:36:31 EDT

Press Statement by The Rev. Troy D. Perry
Moderator of the Universal Fellowship
of Metropolitan Community Churches

Gay Religious Leader Calls For Apology From Lott
	
"Homosexuality Not A Sin, Not A Sickness," says gay cleric.

LOS ANGELES -- The head of the world's largest Christian denomination with a
primary ministry to gays and lesbians today called for an apology from Senator
Trent Lott.

In remarks on June 15, Lott called homosexuality a "sin" and noted, "There are
all kinds of problems and addictions and difficulties and experiences of this
kind that are wrong. But you should try to work with that person to learn to
control that problem."

"Senator Lott owes an apology to the millions of American citizens who are gay
or lesbian," said the Rev. Troy D. Perry, moderator of the Universal
Fellowship of Metropolitan Community Churches (UFMCC). "His statements this
week are a sobering reminder of our nation's unfinished work in the fight
against ignorance and prejudice."

"I'd welcome an opportunity to introduce the Senator to the hundreds of
thousands of gays and lesbians with whom I've worked over the past 30 years
who live in stable family relationships, who work hard at their jobs, who pay
their taxes, who have parented children and who contribute their time and
energy to local and civic organizations. And I'd like to introduce him to the
legions of gay Americans who believe in and love God and who actively
participate in the life of their local churches, synagogues and other houses
of worship.

"For the past three decades, I have joined hands with clergy of every faith to
affirm the spirituality of gays, lesbians, bisexuals and transgendered persons
with this message: God loves all people unconditionally.

"Name calling and accusations never elevate public debate," said Perry, noting
that the gay community has long been the subject of such attacks. "The
capitalists called us communists. The communists called us decadent. The
psychiatrists called us sick. And the churches called us sinful. Well, it's a
lie. Homosexuality is not a sin, and it's not a sickness.

"I respectfully suggest the Senator spend less time judging the gay community,
and spend more time working for legislation which will protect the equal
rights of all Americans."

UFMCC was founded in 1968, and is composed of more than 42,000 members and
adherents in 300 congregations in 15 countries. The Rev. Troy Perry has been a
frequent guest on television talk shows and featured in numerous magazine and
newspaper articles. He is a former member of the Los Angeles Human Relations
Commission and a delegate to President Clinton's White House Conference on
Hate Crimes.

(END)

FOR ADDITIONAL INFORMATION, CONTACT:
James N. Birkitt, Jr., Director of Communications
UFMCC Communications Department
8704 Santa Monica Blvd.,  2nd Floor
West Hollywood, CA  90069

Tel. (310) 360-8640
Fax: (310) 360-8680

E-mail: [email-masked]

website: http://www.ufmcc.com