Subject: RESPONSE TO BARBARA SMITH CRITICISM OF MILLENNIUM MARCH
From: Vickyy69 <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 May 1998 23:40:34 EDT

A Response From Long-time LGBT Activist
Elaine German of Richmond, Virginia

Re: BARBARA SMITH LETTER-CRITICISM OF MILLENNIUM RALLY GROWS

I am responding to the letters from Barbara Smith and Nadine Smith.  These two
women sound very angry.  I find it interesting that in all of the e-mail I
have gotten from both Rev. Troy Perry and from Robin Tyler asking for support
of the Millennium March, neither of them has accused or demeaned fellow gays,
lesbians, bisexuals, transgendered or any of the organizations that represent
them.  I wonder why these women find it necessary to do that?  We should not
be about fighting among ourselves, rather working together for rights for all
people which is what I have always heard Rev. Troy Perry preach and how I have
seen him live-out his life.

I believe it is through the visibility and "glamour" of the past marches that
we have made such strides at the state level.  You talk in your letters about
people going back to their states and losing their jobs because they are gay.
For that very reason, many people will not march or be visible at the state
level because they are afraid.  The marches on Washington give people a
certain amount of anonymity, and yet they feel good because they have "been
counted" as taking a stand for human rights.  I believe it is when they see
people like Martina and Ellen, who have taken a stand regardless of how badly
they took a public beating by the press or the religious right, and yet came
through it, that gives people at the local level the courage to take a stand.
I know several military people who have become much more willing to be open
because they have been inspired by the courage of Marguerite Cammemeyer than
by seeing their friends persecuted.  There is something about seeing people
(glamorous though they may be) who have a lot more to lose than we do take a
stand that inspires us.

The organizers of the Millennium March have only said positive things about
the 50 state initiative for 1999.  I don't know why we can't work together.  I
believe the Millennium March will serve to fuel the fire for the 50 state
initiative which, if truly successful, will be more than a one-year
initiative.  I would hope it will carry us into the next century.  What better
way to start off the new millennium than with people at every level moving
ahead and working together for the rights of all.  There has been overwhelming
support of the Millennium March from individuals and organizations throughout
the country.  Please do not hurt the cause for which we all strive through
backbiting and anger.  It will only hurt both initiatives in the long-run.

Thank you.
Elaine German,
Richmond, Virginia