Subject: UFMCC Receives $50,000 Gill Foundation Grant
From: UfmccHq <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 May 1998 18:22:48 EDT

N E W S   R E L E A S E 
For Immediate Release - Thursday, May 21, 1998

METROPOLITAN COMMUNITY CHURCHES
RECEIVE $50,000 GILL FOUNDATION GRANT

LOS ANGELES -- The Universal Fellowship of Metropolitan Community Churches
(UFMCC), the world's largest and oldest gay spirituality organization, has
received a $50,000 grant from the Gill Foundation. The grant will be used by
the rapidly growing organization for operational expenses.

According to the Rev. Elder Troy D. Perry, founder and moderator of UFMCC, "We
are honored to receive this grant from the Gill Foundation. This grant comes
at an important time in the life of UFMCC as we prepare for our 30th year of
service, continue to expand our global technology base and prepare for the
dedication of the UFMCC World Center in 1999."

"We know that typical first-time grants from the Gill Foundation do not exceed
$15,000," said Perry. "So this first-time grant in the amount of $50,000
speaks to the important work UFMCC continues to carry out around the world."

The Rev. Elder Don Eastman, UFMCC Treasurer, added, "We see this grant as an
indication that UFMCC is on the right track in our commitment to social and
spiritual justice for the gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgendered
communities."

"We especially recognize the tireless efforts and vision of Dr. Lo Sprague,
who represented UFMCC in meetings with the staff of the Gill Foundation,"
Eastman added.

UFMCC was founded by Perry in 1968 to provide positive, affirming Christian
spirituality to the gay community. The denomination, which is headquartered in
West Hollywood, CA, has grown to 300 congregations in 15 countries and more
than 42,000 members and adherents. Since its founding, UFMCC has had a strong
commitment to the civil rights of minority groups, and was an early leader in
the fight against HIV and AIDS. Additional information may be found at UFMCC's
website at http://www.ufmcc.com.

The Gill Foundation was founded in 1994 by Tim Gill, founder and chairperson
of Quark, Inc., a Denver-based computer software company. The Gill Foundation
supports non-profit organizations which pursue justice and equality for gay
men and lesbians.

(END)

____________________________________

FOR ADDITIONAL INFORMATION, CONTACT:
____________________________________

James N. Birkitt, Jr.,UFMCC Communications Department
J8704 Santa Monica Blvd.,  2nd Floor
West Hollywood, CA  90069

Tel. (310) 360-8640
Fax: (310) 360-8680

E-mail: [email-masked]

website: http://www.ufmcc.com