Subject: UFMCC ACTION ALERT: Phelps To Picket Another UFMCC Congregation
From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 25 Jul 1998 20:47:56 EDT

A C T I O N   A L E R T
from the Universal Fellowship
of Metropolitan Community Churches

Right-Winger Phelps To Picket Another UFMCC Congregation

Los Angeles -- Fred Phelps, the notorious anti-gay crusader, will be picketing
the congregation of All God's Children MCC in Minneapolis, MN, on Sunday, July
26th. Phelps' group is best known for hate-filled picket signs proclaiming
"God Hates Fags" and "AIDS Cures Fags."

The Rev. Troy Perry, moderator of UFMCC, has encouraged all members and
friends of UFMCC to uphold the Rev. Paul Graetz and the members of All God's
Children MCC with love and prayers during this weekend.

Said Perry, "This is the third UFMCC congregation to be picketed by the
Phelps' group in the last few weeks. MCC San Francisco and Gentle Shepherd MCC
met hate with powerful messages of love, as All God's Children MCC is
preparing to do."

"The rising tide of hate directed against gays, lesbians, bisexuals and
transgendered people of faith is a powerful reminder of our unfinished work in
seeking spiritual justice for all people," add Perry. "In spite of the many
strides we have made in our society, we must not rest in our work until all
god's children are treated with respect and dignity."

"I will be remembering Pastor Graetz and the members of All God's Children MCC
in my personal prayers on Sunday, July 26. I am asking all MCCers to join me
in prayer that this congregation will be blessed with spiritual strength in
the face of hate, and that our message of God's love will prevail," said
Perry.

All God's Children MCC has planned a public rally on the steps of the church
to confront hate with love. Among those who have indicated they will be in
attendance are the mayor of Minneapolis, various state officials, an
ecumenical group of pastors and congregants, GLBT community leaders, business
owners and PFLAG members. 

The 9:30 AM rally will focus on the theme that God's love is for all and will
be followed by a worship service affirming the spirituality of gays, lesbians,
bisexuals and transgendered persons, and proclaiming UFMCC's commitment to
justice for all through love.

"Minnesotans do not tolerate hate messages and we will join together to make
that message loud and clear to all.  Hate is not welcome in this state," said
Graetz.

We encourage you to send messages conveying your love and prayers to Rev.
Graetz at [email-masked].

(END)

FOR ADDITIONAL INFORMATION, CONTACT:
James N. Birkitt, Jr.
UFMCC Communications Department
8704 Santa Monica Blvd.,  2nd Floor
West Hollywood, CA  90069

Tel. (310) 360-8640
Fax: (310) 360-8680

E-mail: [email-masked]

website: http://www.ufmcc.com