Subject: NEWS RELEASE: National Day of Silence Announced for April 8, 1998
From: UfmccHq <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 1998 20:56:06 EST

Dear Editor:  
We are dependent upon friends such as yourself to promote the National Day of
Silence. Thank you for your help in getting the word out.

N E W S   R E L E A S E

MARCH 11, 1998
For Immediate Release

OVER 100 HIGH SCHOOLS, COLLEGES AND UNIVERSITIES TO PARTICIPATE IN 1998
NATIONAL DAY OF SILENCE

CONTACTS:
Phone:  	David Mariner, Advocates for Youth
		      202-347-5700
Email: 	      Jessie Gilliam, Co-chair, National Day of Silence
		       [email-masked]
	            Maria Pulzetti, Co-chair, National Day of Silence
		      [email-masked]

CHARLOTTESVILLE, VA -- The National Day of Silence, the largest national (US)
lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (lgbt) awareness event run by and for
youth, will take place on April 8, 1998. Already more than 100 high schools,
colleges and universities have signed on to participate.

The first Day of Silence was held at the University of Virginia in April 1996
and has since spread nationwide.

On the National Day of Silence, supporters of lgbt rights take a nine-hour vow
of silence (8 AM - 5 PM) to draw attention to the silence that homophobia
causes.  

Instead of speaking, participants hand out cards that read: "Please understand
my reasons for not speaking today.  I support lesbian, gay, bisexual, and
transgender rights.  People who are silent today believe that laws and
attitudes should be inclusive of people of all sexual orientations. The Day of
Silence is to draw attention to those who have been silenced by hatred,
oppression, and prejudice. Think about the voices you are not hearing.  What
can you do to end the silence?"

After the silence hours, organizers hold events to further educate people
about homophobia and other lgbt issues.    

The National Day of Silence is organized by a volunteer staff of full time
students.  Jessie Gilliam and Maria Pulzetti, co-chairs of the event, are
featured in the "Profile in Courage" in the March issue of Oasis Magazine
(www.oasismag.com).  They have also been invited to appear as keynote speakers
at Youth Pride Day in Washington, D.C. on April 18.  

National Day of Silence Co-chair Maria Pulzetti comments, "I have watched this
event grow from a first-time event at a conservative university to a national
and even international movement of youth working to end homophobia.  The
strength of this event lies in the fact that it fills a real need for
solidarity among youth concerned about lgbt rights.  The National Day of
Silence is the only national event created and organized by youth. The
collective statement we make is staggering."

The National Day of Silence has received organizational endorsements from the
Gay Lesbian Straight Education Network (GLSEN), Universal Fellowship of
Metropolitan Community Churches (UFMCC), Advocates for Youth, !OutProud!, And
Justice for All, and Youth Guardian Services.  

If you or someone you know attends a school, college, or youth group and would
like to participate in the National Day of Silence, please contact your
regional coordinator (see web page, http://www/youth-guard.org/ndos) or send
e-mail inquiries to [email-masked]  

--------------------------
Maria Katherine Pulzetti
University of Virginia
[email-masked]
http://www.youth-guard.org/ndos

"We solemnly vow that there should never be another season of silence
until we have the same rights everywhere on this green Earth."
	        --Elizabeth Cady Stanton, 1881

(END)