Subject: Millennium March on Washington Announces Event Date
From: UfmccHq <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 1998 14:36:26 EDT

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE   
Thursday, April 30, 1998              

PRESS CONTACTS:
Donna Red Wing (202) 216-1541
James Birkitt (310) 360-8640
Benjamin Sheppard (202) 466-8240

MILLENNIUM MARCH ON WASHINGTON SET FOR APRIL 30, 2000

Organizers Express Enthusiastic Support for 
"Equality Begins at Home" State Actions

WASHINGTON -- Organizers for the gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgendered
community's fourth March on Washington today announced the event will be held
on April 30, 2000.  The March aims to articulate the concerns of our community
and focus our nation's attention on our quest for equality in all aspects of
life.

"We expect one million of my gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgendered sisters
and brothers and our enlightened allies to stand on the Mall and call upon our
nation to live out the promise of equality under the law," said the Rev. Troy
D. Perry, long-time gay activist and founder of the Universal Fellowship of
Metropolitan Community Churches.

Organizers took steps this week to begin incorporation of a non-profit entity
to handle planning, production and financial arrangements. Efforts are
underway to make sure this is a democratic process where all segments of our
community are represented.

"The Millennium March promises to continue its bold commitment to all people
of color. I am hearing from Native Americans, Asians, African Americans,
Latinos and Pacific Islanders who are ecstatic about participating," said
Martin Ornelas-Quintero, executive director of the Latino Latina/o, Lesbian,
Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Organization.

Organizers also expressed their support today for the "Equality Begins at
Home" actions on all 50 state capitals set for 1999.

"The Equality Begins at Home" actions enjoy the full and enthusiastic support
of the organizers of the Millennium March," said Elizabeth Birch, executive
director of the Human Rights Campaign. "It's imperative that we focus our
energies as a movement at both the state and federal level.  These two events
will complement each other as together we build the momentum to achieve
equality in the next century."

"I am glad to see both of these events moving towards a more collaborative
process," said Jubi Headley, executive director of the National Black Lesbian
and Gay Leadership Forum. "This is a positive sign of progress."

"Our greatest hope as a movement lies in our commitment to work together for
social change. Our passion for justice and our pledge to lift up every voice
has the potential to transform town halls, state houses, and our nation's
capitol," said Kerry Lobel, executive director of the National Gay and Lesbian
Task Force.

"I remain hopeful the the "Equality Begins at Home" actions and the Millennium
March will help build our grassroots momement at the state, local and national
level," said Dianne Hard-Garcia, executive director of the Lesbian Gay Rights
Lobby of Texas and co-chair of the Federation of Statewide Lesbian, Gay,
Bisexual and Transgendered Organizations. "I believe that working together
these actions can strengthen the state and federal organizations that fight
daily to end discrimination. 

Paula Ettelbrick, legislative director of the Empire State Pride Agenda and
the other co-chair of the Federation added, "The Equality Begins At Home
actions will fortify our strength at the statewide level and set the stage for
the millennium march event in Washington in 2000."

For further information regarding accommodations, travel agents and groups
please call the March on Washington, (818) 891-1748 or E-mail
[email-masked].

(END)
______________________________________
FOR ADDITIONAL INFORMATION, CONTACT:

Donna Red Wing
Human Rights Campaign
Tel. (202) 628-4160
Fax: (202) 347-5323

James N. Birkitt, Jr.
UFMCC Communications Department
Tel. (310) 360-8640
Fax: (310) 360-8680

E-mail: [email-masked]

website: http://www.ufmcc.com