Subject: NEWS RELEASE: Millennium March on Washington for Equal Rights
From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 1998 18:47:45 EST

NEWS RELEASE - For Immediate Release

Human Rights Campaign
1101 14th Street, NW
Washington, DC 20005

CONTACT:
David M. Smith
Tel. (202) 216-1547

"Millennium March on Washington for Equal Rights"
Announced by National Gay Organizations	

Washington~ The nation's largest gay and lesbian political organization and
the nation's largest gay faith-based movement announced plans today to sponsor
a march on Washington in the spring of the year 2000. The event will be
produced by veteran march organizer Robin Tyler who brought the organizations
together to formulate planning.

The Human Rights Campaign and the Universal Fellowship of Metropolitan
Community Churches are exploring dates in spring 2000 for the "Millennium
March on Washington for Equal Rights," the heads of both organizations said
today. Several prominent organizations have signed on as endorsers, including
the National Black Gay and Lesbian Leadership Forum, the National Latino/a
Lesbian and Gay Organization, the National Center for Lesbian Rights, the Gay
and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation, the National Youth Advocacy
Coalition, Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays, the National
Gay and Lesbian Task Force and the Gay and Lesbian Victory Fund.
Representatives from these organizations and others will be sought to
participate on an organizing committee which will help facilitate the
organization and presentation of the event. 

"This march will set a new tone for a new century," said Elizabeth Birch
Executive director of the Human Rights Campaign. "Full equality under the law
will be our achievement in the new millennium."

"Together, we will solidify the gains we've made over the past decades and
call upon our nation to live out its promise of ‘liberty and justice for
all,'"said the Rev. Troy Perry, founder of the Universal Fellowship of
Metropolitan Community Churches. "This march will set the pace for social
justice and human rights."

The organizations are working closely with Tyler to produce the event. Tyler
was an instrumental organizer/producer of the past three marches on Washington
dating back to 1979. 

"Robin's depth of experience, community commitments and unstoppable energy
uniquely qualify her to lead the organizing efforts for this historic event,"
said Birch and Perry. 

"This is an historic time in our movement. Although we have much greater
visibility and a measure of cultural acceptance, we must not be lulled into a
false sense of security," Tyler said. "This march will once again show the
self esteem, strength and unwavering determination of the lesbian, gay,
bisexual and transgender community."

The last march was April 25, 1993 and attracted more than 1 million
participants, according to the organizers. 

The Universal Fellowship of Metropolitan Community Churches is the world's
largest and oldest predominantly gay Christian spirituality organization.
Founded by Perry in 1968 with a commitment to social and spiritual justice and
headquartered in West Hollywood, CA, UFMCC is composed of more than 300 local
congregations in 15 countries. 

The Human Rights Campaign is the largest national lesbian and gay political
organization, with members throughout the country. It effectively lobbies
Congress, provides campaign support and educates the public to ensure that
lesbian and gay Americans can be open, honest and safe at home, at work and in
the community. 

ADDITIONAL MEDIA CONTACTS:

Elizabeth Birch, Executive Director
Human Rights Campaign
(202) 628-4160

The Rev. Troy D. Perry, Moderator
UFMCC
(310) 360-8640

Robin Tyler, Millennium March Promoter
(818) 893-4075

(END)