Subject: URGENT: Jimmy Creech Loses His Church A Justice Ministry Release
From: UfmccHq <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 May 1998 19:42:34 EDT

A Justice Alert
From The Rev. Dr. Mel White
Minister of Justice and Reconciliation for the
Universal Fellowship of Metropolitan Community Churches

On May 5, 1998...
...another name was added to the growing  list of heroic heterosexuals who
have made great sacrifices on behalf of God's lesbian, gay, bisexual, and
transgendered children.

On that day, the Rev. Jimmy Creech met with Bishop Martinez and was informed
that he will NOT be re-appointed to First United Methodist Church of Omaha,
Nebraska (FUMC).

According to Chris Weedy, Jimmy's wife and co-worker, the Bishop cited four
reasons:  "the continuing deterioration at FUMC, Jimmy's inability to
reconcile differences with the Rogue Group, not following the bishop's
guidance (in doing the covenant ceremony [for two lesbians] and in not
accepting the conditions offered before the trial), and finally the
`deterioration in the Nebraska conference.'" 

According to Chris, "The Bishop offered three options:  that Jimmy ask for
another appointment in the NE conference, that Jimmy find another appointment
in another conference, that Jimmy take a leave of absence."

This sad news from Jimmy's wife is one more proof that the Fundamentalist
"urge to purge" is gaining (not losing) strength in the churches of our
childhood.  We must do everything in our power to present the truth where
untruth reigns.  In the spirit of Soulforce, the spirit of Jesus, Gandhi, and
King, let us bring the truth in love relentlessly to those who don't
understand.

The Trials of Jimmy Creech, our newest (28 minute) Soulforce Video, helps keep
Jimmy's truth alive and at the same time gives us a powerful  tool to share
his truth with our friends and with those who who are victims of untruth.

I interviewed Jimmy Creech on the eve of his trial. Never in my life have I
been more deeply moved by the subject of an interview.  Jimmy's quiet calm in
the heart of the storm, his articulate, reasoned, passionate defense of full
acceptance of lesbians and gays in the church, including the rites of
marriage,  and his courageous, sacrificial stand for truth will inspire our
friends and change the minds and hearts of those who misunderstand us.

Order your copy of The Trials of Jimmy Creech today. To help us cover the
costs of duplicating, packaging and mailing, send a check for $10 made out to
Video 3 to Soulforce Videos, P.O. Box 4467, Laguna Beach, CA. 92652. Remember,
it is OK to copy this video, to share those copies freely with your friends
and family, with your PFLAG chapter, community center, school and church
libraries, other faith or activist groups and with your local cable access or
independent TV station.

For the sake of truth, help us get Jimmy's interview into the hands of those
who need it.  Forward copies of this message to your network of friends.  And
if you have received duplicate copies of this Soulforce Alert, just let us
know.  

Thanks,
Mel White

PS:
The Methodist Federation for Social Action is raising funds to pay the costs
of Jimmy's defense.  You can help by writing a tax-deductible check to MFSA
designated to the "Creech Defense Fund." Send your contributions and best
wishes to Jimmy care of The Methodist Federation for Social Action, 76 Clinton
Ave., Staten Island, NY 10301.

(END)
_____________________________
FOR ADDITIONAL INFORMATION, CONTACT:
James N. Birkitt, Jr.
UFMCC Communications Department
8704 Santa Monica Blvd.,  2nd Floor
West Hollywood, CA  90069

Tel. (310) 360-8640
Fax: (310) 360-8680

E-mail: [email-masked]

website: http://www.ufmcc.com