Subject: Initial Board Members Elected For Millennium March on Washington
From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 1998 17:27:47 EDT

N E W S   R E L E A S E
From The UFMCC News Service

Initial Board Members Elected For Millennium March On Washington

Los Angeles --  The June 9th meeting of gay organizations in Washington, DC
has moved the Millennium March on Washington forward, according to the Rev.
Troy D. Perry, Moderator of the Universal Fellowship of Metropolitan Churches
and one of the first three leaders to call for the March.

"Members of 32 organizations representing a broad, grassroots cross-section of
the gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgendered movement participated," said
Perry. "The representation was as diverse as our larger community, and
included civil rights organizations, bisexual and transgendered groups, youth
advocates, state organizers, aging activists, sexual minority coalitions,
people of color organizations, community activists, spirituality groups, and
AIDS organizations."

The group designed and adopted an organizing structure composed of a 15-member
Board of Directors and a much larger Leadership Council. The Board will have
parity for people of color and by gender, and will include bisexual and
transgender representation.

Seven members were elected to the Board and two additional members were
appointed after the meeting. Six additional members will be appointed at a
later date.

The initial nine members are:  

Elizabeth Birch (Ex. Dir., Human Rights Campaign, Washington, DC)
Beverly Biddle (Ex. Dir., National Lesbian & Gay Health Assoc., Washington,
DC)
Rea Carey (Ex. Dir., National Youth Advocacy Coalition, Washington, DC)
Duane Cramer (Board Member, Names Project Foundation, San Francisco, CA)
Ann DeGroot (Ex. Dir., Out Front Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN)
Dianne Hardy-Garcia (Ex. Dir., Lesbian Gay Rights Lobby of Texas, Austin, TX)
Kerry Lobel (Ex. Dir., National Gay & Lesbian Task Force, Washington, DC)
Rev. Troy Perry (Moderator, UFMCC, West Hollywood, CA)
Nicole Ramierz-Murray (Co-Chair, National Latina/o LGBT Org., San Diego, CA)

The Millennium March on Washington is scheduled for April 30, 2000. It will be
the fourth national March on Washington by the GLBT communities and the first
human rights march of the new millennium.

For additional information, contact [email-masked] by e-mail.

(END)

FOR ADDITIONAL INFORMATION, CONTACT:
James N. Birkitt, Jr., Director of Communications
UFMCC Communications Department
8704 Santa Monica Blvd.,  2nd Floor
West Hollywood, CA  90069

Tel. (310) 360-8640
Fax: (310) 360-8680

E-mail: [email-masked]

website: http://www.ufmcc.com

ADDENDUM:
Participants at the June 9th organizational meeting included representatives
from:
AIDS Action, Audre Lorde Project, Bi-Net USA, Dignity USA, Federation of GLBT
State Organizations, GALA, Gender PAC, GLAAD, GLSEN, Human Rights Campaign,
InterPride, It's Time America, Latina/o LGBT Organization, Log Cabin
Republicans, Names Project Foundation, National Coalition for Sexual Freedom,
National Gay & Lesbian Task Force, National Lesbian and Gay Health
Association, National Youth Advocacy Coalition, Out Front Minnesota, PFLAG,
SAGE, Service Members Legal Defense Network, UFMCC, Us Helping Us, Victory
Fund.