Subject: Gay Rights Leader, Nobel Peace Prize Winner to Hold Historic Meeting
From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 1997 17:40:08 -0400 (EDT)

N E W S   R E L E A S E
For Immediate Release, Please

GAY RIGHTS ACTIVIST, NOBEL PRIZE WINNER
TO HOLD HISTORIC MEETING IN SOUTH AFRICA
Human Rights, Spiritual Justice, Growth of UFMCC on Agenda

Los Angeles -- History will be made on December 10, 1997 when the Rev. Troy
D. Perry, internationally known religious leader and gay rights activist,
meets with the Most Rev. Dr. Desmond Tutu, Anglican Archbishop Emeritus of
Capetown, South Africa and recipient of the Nobel Peace Prize.
	Perry is founder and moderator of the Universal Fellowship of Metropolitan
Community Churches (UFMCC), the world's largest Christian denomination with a
primary ministry to gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgendered persons.
	The meeting will take place in Cape Town as part of Perry's South African
speaking tour to UFMCC congregations, gay-friendly churches and human rights
organizations.
	Tutu, a long-time anti-apartheid activist, was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize
in 1984 for his commitment to human rights. In 1995, he was appointed by
President Nelson Mandela to the South African Truth and Reconciliation
Commission, an organization seeking to bring racial, political and spiritual
healing to South Africa.
	"I look forward to a wide-ranging discussion of our mutual human rights
interests," said Perry, "and to furthering our commitment to spiritual
justice around the world."

	"Some of UFMCC's greatest international growth is currently taking place in
South Africa," Perry noted. "This trip will also provide an opportunity for
me to recognize the important role members of UFMCC congregations played in
the formation of the new South African constitution."  South Africa is the
world's first nation to extend constitutional legal rights and protections to
gays and lesbians.
	UFMCC was founded in 1968 by the Rev. Troy D. Perry, who serves as moderator
of the fast-growing denomination. A frequent international speaker at
churches, universities, and conferences, Perry has appeared on C-SPAN, 60
Minutes, Phil Donahue, Tomorrow with Tom Snyder, and The Mike Douglas Show.
 UFMCC's story has appeared in virtually every international news magazine.
 Perry is the recipient of awards from the American Civil Liberties Union,
the Human Rights Campaign, and the Gay Press Association.
	UFMCC is composed of more than 300 local congregations in 15 countries. With
a combined budget in excess of $15 million, the UFMCC churches comprise the
largest predominantly gay organization in the world.  
	Additional information on UFMCC is available at the organization's website
at http://www.ufmcc.com, or by e-mail at  [email-masked]	

(E N D)

For Additional Information, Contact:
James N. Birkitt, Jr.
UFMCC Director of Communications
Universal Fellowship of Metropolitan Community Churches
8704 Santa Monica Boulevard, 2nd Floor
West Hollywood, CA 90069
Phone: (310) 360-8640
Fax: (310) 360-8680
E-mail: [email-masked]

website:  http://www.ufmcc.com

Release Date: September, 1997