Subject: UFMCC's Perry Invited To White House Conference
From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 3 Oct 1997 21:29:07 -0400 (EDT)

N E W S   R E L E A S E
For Immediate Release, Please

UFMCC'S PERRY RECEIVES INVITATION TO 
WHITE HOUSE CONFERENCE ON HATE CRIMES

National Conference To Be Held November 10, 1997
More Than 20 UFMCC Churches Bombed, Arsoned!

Los Angeles -- The Rev. Troy D. Perry, founder of the Universal Fellowship of
Metropolitan Community Churches, the world's largest gay and lesbian
spirituality organization, has received an invitation to participate in the
upcoming White House Conference on Hate Crimes on November 10, 1997.

     The conference was announced in June by US President Bill Clinton during
an address to the nation in which he called for all Americans to "use the
full talents of all of our people, regardless of race or religious faith,
national origin or sexual orientation, gender or disability."

     The White House Conference on Hate Crimes will explore both federal
options for addressing hate crimes as well as community-based remedies.

     In a letter to the President, Perry noted that, "UFMCC members and
congregations have suffered a two-fold victimization by hate crimes — crimes
against our worship facilities because of our faith and crimes against our
predominantly gay and lesbian members because of their sexual orientation.

     "Since its founding in 1968, more than 20 UFMCC churches have been
bombed or arsoned," said Perry, "while many others have been vandalized,
desecrated or threatened. Proportionally, no other institution in America has
been the recipient of as much arson, bombing, vandalism and desecration
motivated by hate crimes as have the churches of UFMCC. An astounding and
shocking seven percent of our congregations have been targets of bombing or
arson."

     Perry will represent the more than 42,000 members of UFMCC congregations
at the White House Conference. "I intend to use my voice to call for
enactment of broad protections for our lesbian, gay, bisexual and
transgendered citizens," said Perry.

     UFMCC was founded in 1968 by the Rev. Troy D. Perry, who serves as
moderator of the fast-growing denomination. A frequent international speaker
at churches, universities, and conferences, Perry has appeared on C-SPAN, 60
Minutes, Phil Donahue, Tomorrow with Tom Snyder, and The Mike Douglas Show.
 UFMCC's story has appeared in virtually every international news magazine.
 Perry is the recipient of awards from the American Civil Liberties Union,
the Human Rights Campaign, and the Gay Press Association.

     UFMCC is composed of more than 300 local congregations in 15 countries.
With a combined budget in excess of $15 million, the UFMCC churches comprise
the largest predominantly gay organization in the world.

     Additional information on UFMCC's participation in the White House
Conference on Hate Crimes is available by e-mail from [email-masked].	

For Additional Information, Contact:
James N. Birkitt, Jr.
UFMCC Director of Communications
Universal Fellowship of Metropolitan Community Churches
8704 Santa Monica Boulevard, 2nd Floor
West Hollywood, CA 90069

Phone: (310) 360-8640
Fax: (310) 360-8680

E-mail: [email-masked]

Release Date: October 1997

Press Backgrounder
A Partial, Representative Listing of
Hate Crimes Committed Against the Congregations of
the Universal Fellowship of Metropolitan Community Churches
During Its 30 Year History

A UFMCC church building in Sacramento, California sustained $600,000 in
damages due to arson.

A fire at a UFMCC congregation in New Orleans, Louisiana claimed the lives of
more than 30 persons, including the church's pastor.

UFMCC's "Mother Church" in Los Angeles sustained $90,000 in arson damages.

MCC San Francisco's worship facility endured $100,000 in arson damages.
Threats to the pastor's life were scrawled on the church door.

A UFMCC congregation in Texas was victimized by a hate campaign of threats by
the Ku Klux Klan.

A UFMCC church facility in St. Petersburg, FL sustained $34,000 in arson
damages.

A UFMCC church in Santa Monica, California sustained $20,000 in fire damages
in the aftermath of a hate-filled, telephone threat.

During 1996, stained glass windows at the UFMCC church in Richmond, Virginia,
were smashed by hate crime vandals.

In 1997, the UFMCC church in Bradenton, Florida has been repeatedly
desecrated with spray-painted swastikas.

(END)