Subject: UFMCC News Story
From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 1997 21:25:30 -0500 (EST)

UFMCC NEWS UPDATE

WASHINGTON, DC -- The Rev. Troy Perry, founder and moderator of the Universal
Fellowship of Metropolitan Community Churches (UFMCC), joined 120 religious
leaders for a breakfast meeting with President Clinton Thursday, Nov. 20,
1997. The meeting was an opportunity for the President to recognize the
contributions of these religious leaders to the good of society, and marked
Perry's second visit to the White House this month.

The event -- scheduled to last two hours -- streched to three hours as the
President and Vice President took questions from the assembled group.

Threats by the Religious Right turned out to be simply that -- threats.
Despite a national media campaign attacking Rev. Perry and the UFMCC, no
picketers were present as Perry entered the White House. This was in stark
contrast to Perry's White House visit only two weeks ago when members of Rev.
Fred Phelps group hurled insults at Perry as he entered the White House
Conference on Hate Crimes.

During his breakfast meeting today, Perry had a one-on-one discussion with
Vice President Gore, and commended the Vice President for his support of the
gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgendered communities. The Vice President, in
turn, commended Perry for both his spiritual and civil rights work, and
indicated his familiarity with UFMCC's ministry.

Perry noted, "Two weeks ago, I was invited to the White House as a civil
rights activist for the gay and lesbian community. Today, I was invited for
my role as a spiritual leader. Both roles are important to me, and are vital
to furthering the cause of social and spiritual justice for all our people."

Others in attendance this morning including the Archbishop of the Armenian
Church, the Bishop of the Greek Orthodox Church, the General Commander of the
Salvation Army, representatives of several branches of Judaism, as well as
representatives from other faith communities, including the Rev. Peter Gomes,
chaplain at Harvard, and Tony Campollo, evangelical author and speaker.

Prior to the breakfast, Perry received calls from two White House Aides
assuring him that the President was not swayed by the protests from the
Religious Right and confirming that the President was honored to host Perry
at this event. In a show of support for the attacks on UFMCC, Perry was
seated in the front row of the breakfast at the table next to the Vice
President... and two tables from the President.

Those wishing to send e-mail messages of support and congratulations to Rev.
Perry may send them to     [email-masked].

(END)