Subject: NEWS: Gay Religious Leader Receives White House Recognition
From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 1997 17:55:26 -0500 (EST)

PRESS RELEASE

Universal Fellowship of
Metropolitan Community Churches
8704 Santa Monica Blvd, Second Floor
West Hollywood, CA 90069

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE, PLEASE

Gay Religious Leader Receives White House Recognition

Los Angeles, November 18, 1997—When 120 American religious leaders gather at
the White House for Presidential recognition this week, one openly gay
clergyperson will be in attendance.

On Nov. 20, 1997, President Clinton will honor 120 American religious leaders
for their contributions to society.  The Rev. Elder Troy D. Perry, founder
and moderator of the Universal Fellowship of Metropolitan Community Churches
(UFMCC), has been selected as one of the White House honorees.

Perry has confirmed that he will attend the White House event and has been
invited to breakfast with President Clinton on Nov. 20th.

In accepting the White House honor and invitation, Rev. Perry noted, "This
invitation is, in a wider sense, a recognition of the contributions of each
of our churches, ministers and members to the worldwide work of building
"spiritual outposts" for the gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgendered
communities. I think it is also a recognition of the hard grassroots work our
churches have done to build bridges of understanding throughout our society.
I am both humbled by this recognition and honored to represent the UFMCC at
this White House event."

This marks Rev. Perry's second invitation to the White House this month. On
November 10, he participated in the White House Conference on Hate Crimes.
The day began with a breakfast meeting between Rev. Perry and conference
participants, President Clinton, White House staff and civil rights leaders,
a day-long conference and working sessions, and an evening reception with
members of the President's Cabinet.

Founded in 1968, UFMCC provides more than 300 local communities of faith in
15 countries with an affirming spiritual outreach to the gay, lesbian,
bisexual and transgendered communities. Additional information on UFMCC,
inlcuding links to more than 160 local congregations, is available at UFMCC's
website at http://www.ufmcc.com. 
(END)

FOR MORE INFORMATION, CONTACT:
James Birkitt, Jr., Director of Communications
(310) 360-8640   Fax: (310) 360-8680
E-Mail: [email-masked]