Subject: Gay Spirituality Conference Announced
From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 29 May 1997 19:24:44 -0400 (EDT)

N E W S   R E L E A S E
From The Universal Fellowship
of Metropolitan Community Churches

For Immediate Release - May/June, 1997 

LARGEST INTERNATIONAL GAY AND LESBIAN RELIGIOUS CONFERENCE
EVER IN PACIFIC RIM TO BE HELD JULY 20-25, 1997

Los Angeles — The largest international gay and lesbian religious gathering
ever held in the Pacific Rim will take place in Sydney, Australia July 20-25,
according to the Rev. Troy D. Perry, founder and moderator of the Universal
Fellowship of Metropolitan Community Churches (UFMCC).
	UFMCC is the largest and oldest faith community with a primary ministry to
the gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgendered communities.
	"This is the first of UFMCC's biennial General Conferences to be held
outside of North America, and reflects our growing commitment as a truly
international community of faith," said Perry. Founded in 1968 to build safe,
affirming places of spirituality for the gay community, UFMCC is now composed
of more than 300 local congregations in 19 countries. With a combined budget
in excess of $10 million, the UFMCC churches comprise the largest
predominantly gay and lesbian organization in the world.
	Perry noted the strong international response to this year's conference. "As
of March 1, early registration for General Conference XVIII was the highest
at that point in the denomination's history," said Perry.
	This year's UFMCC General Conference XVIII will feature a public rally at
Sydney's historic town hall, keynote addresses by internationally recognized
human rights activists and theologians, business and planning sessions, an
international AIDS luncheon, and an extensive list of social and sightseeing
options.
	Workshops and seminars will explore gay sexuality, spirituality, activism,
gay parenting, outreach to the g/l/b/t/ communities, addressing the faith
concerns of the gay community, AIDS ministry in a new era, and the use of
technology on behalf of gay spirituality.
	The international theme of UFMCC's General Conference XVIII is taken from
the words of Christ, "You are the light of the world." Extensive information
on this year's conference is available through UFMCC's website at
http://www.ufmcc.com.
	UFMCC was founded the Rev. Troy D. Perry, who serves as moderator of the
fast-growing denomination. A frequent international speaker at churches,
universities, and conferences, Perry has appeared on 60 Minutes, Phil
Donahue, Tomorrow with Tom Snyder, and The Mike Douglas Show.  UFMCC's story
has appeared in virtually every international news magazine.  Perry is the
recipient of awards from the American Civil Liberties Union, the Human Rights
Campaign, and the Gay Press Association.
	According to conference organizer Nathan Meckley of the UFMCC staff, special
international travel rates have been secured through travel agencies,
airlines and hotels to make this historic conference truly affordable for all
interested participants. Additional information on UFMCC's General Conference
XVIII is available by writing UFMCC, 8704 Santa Monica Boulevard, 2nd Floor,
West Hollywood, CA 90069, by phoning (310) 360-8640, and by e-mail at
[email-masked].	

(E N D)

For Additional Information, Contact:
James N. Birkitt, Jr.
UFMCC Director of Communications
Universal Fellowship of Metropolitan Community Churches
8704 Santa Monica Boulevard, 2nd Floor
West Hollywood, CA 90069
Phone: (310) 360-8640
Fax: (310) 360-8680
E-mail: UFMCC [email-masked]

Release Date: May/June, 1997