Subject: News Release: UFMCC Adopts New Mission, Vision Statements
From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 11 Oct 1997 21:09:41 -0400 (EDT)

News from the
Universal Fellowship of
Metropolitan Community Churches
website: http://www.ufmcc.com

N E W S   R E L E A S E
For Immediate Release, Please

UFMCC ADOPTS NEW MISSION, VISION STATEMENTS

         "Preparing for bold growth into a new millennium," says founder.

Los Angeles — The Universal Fellowship of Metropolitan Community Churches
(UFMCC), the world's largest gay and lesbian spirituality organization, has
announced adoption of a new mission and vision statement. The new statement
was adopted during UFMCC's recent General Conference XVIII in Sydney,
Australia.

The new UFMCC mission statement reads:

	"The Universal Fellowship of Metropolitan Community Churches is a Christian
Church founded in and reaching beyond the Gay and Lesbian communities.  We
embody and proclaim Christian salvation and liberation, Christian inclusivity
and community, and Christian social action and justice.  We serve among those
seeking and celebrating the integration of their spirituality and sexuality."
	
"With the adoption of this new mission statement, UFMCC became the first
Christian denomination in history to proclaim the "integration of
spirituality and sexuality" as part of its intrinsic mission," said the Rev.
Troy D. Perry, moderator of the denomination.

The new vision statement enacted in Australia reads: 

	"The vision of the UFMCC is to embody the presence of the Divine in the
world, as revealed through Jesus Christ; to challenge the conscience of the
universal Christian Church; and to celebrate the inherent worth and dignity
of each person.  As we move toward this vision, by 2003, the UFMCC will be
comprised of at least 70,000 members and adherents who are all called and
equipped to minister with excellence. This diverse global body will be widely
recognized as a prophetic light and driving force for an inclusive Christian
spirituality which celebrates the integration of spirituality and human
sexuality.  Through our strengthened local churches, we will meet the justice
and faith needs of people in increasing numbers of countries and cultures."

	"Four points in this vision statement are especially noteworthy," said
Perry. "This new document calls us to impact the universal Christian Church
with our message of hope and affirmation for gay, lesbian, bisexual and
transgendered persons.  It calls us to fulfill our vision to double
membership in a decade.  It calls UFMCC to establish spiritual outposts in
additional countries and cultures. And it reemphasizes our commitment to the
positive integration of sexuality and spirituality."

	UFMCC was founded in 1968 by the Rev. Troy D. Perry, who serves as moderator
of the fast-growing denomination. A frequent international speaker at
churches, universities, and conferences, Perry has appeared on C-SPAN, 60
Minutes, Phil Donahue, Tomorrow with Tom Snyder, and The Mike Douglas Show.
 UFMCC's story has appeared in virtually every international news magazine.
 Perry is the recipient of awards from the American Civil Liberties Union,
the Human Rights Campaign, and the Gay Press Association.

	UFMCC is composed of more than 300 local congregations in 15 countries. With
a combined budget in excess of $15 million, the UFMCC churches comprise the
largest predominantly gay organization in the world.

	Additional information on UFMCC is available at the UFMCC website at
http://www.ufmcc.com.	

(E N D)

For Additional Information, Contact:
James N. Birkitt, Jr.
UFMCC Director of Communications
Universal Fellowship of Metropolitan Community Churches
8704 Santa Monica Boulevard, 2nd Floor
West Hollywood, CA 90069
Phone: (310) 360-8640
Fax: (310) 360-8680

E-mail:  [email-masked]

Release Date: October/November, 1997