Subject: A UFMCC response to pedophilia and the massacre of Scottish children
From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 1996 09:26:16 -0500

A UFMCC response to pedophilia and the tragic massacre in Scotland
March 14, 1996

The Largest Gay/ Lesbian Organization in America
Condemns All Violence and Abuse Against Children

              (Los Angeles, California)  "The murder of 16 Scottish children
and their teacher is a terrible tragedy," says the Rev. Troy Perry, founder
and presiding Elder of the Universal Fellowship of Metropolitan Community
Churches.  "Lesbians, gays, and bisexuals in America condemn this violent act
and express our sincere sympathy to the people of Dunblane who are suffering
through its horrible consequences."
	Founded by Elder Perry almost thirty years ago, the 300 U.F.M.C.C.
congregations in 17 different nations,  serve primarily lesbian and gay
congregants.
	"The tens of thousands of lesbian and gay Christians we serve stand united
against all mistreatment of children from simple neglect to sexual abuse and
murder," declares the Rev. Elder Nancy Wilson, pastor of the U.F.M.C.C.
"mother church" in Los Angeles, California. "Unfortunately," she adds,  "when
a man is accused of same sex child abuse, extremists use the occasion to
demonize all gay men and lesbian women.  In fact, pedophilia is not
associated with sexual orientation and it must be condemned rigorously by
homosexuals and heterosexuals alike."
             "I am hoping," adds Dr. Mel White, U.F.M.C.C. Minister of
Justice,  "that leaders of the extremist religious and political movements in
Great Britain and in the U.S., will not use this tragedy to frighten and
confuse their followers. Pat Robertson, founder of the Christian Coalition,
and other fundamentalist Christians often exploit people's fear and confusion
about homosexuality to raise money and mobilize recruits.  Their false and
inflammatory rhetoric against God's gay and lesbian children only leads to
more suffering and death."

For interviews or information, contact the U.F.M.C.C. offices: 5300 Santa
Monica Bl.,  Suite 304, Los Angeles, CA. 90029,  Tel (213) 464-5100,  Fax
(213) 464-2123, Email [email-masked] or for an interview with Dr. Mel
White, fax:: 214 875 4858