From: Garland Tillery <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 May 1995 07:49:51 -0400 (EDT)

Universal Fellowship of Metropolitan Community Churches
5300 Santa Monica Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA. 90029

PRESS RELEASE

MOTHER'S DAY, MAY 14, DECLARED A DAY OF PRAYER
FOR SHARON BOTTOMS AND ALL GAY/LESBIAN PARENTS
IN DANGER OF LOSING THEIR CHILDREN TO THE COURTS

For Release: The week prior to or including May 14, 1995.
Contact Persons:  Dr. Mel White, National Minister of Justice

 On Friday, April 21, 1995, in a controversial 4 to 3 decision, the Virginia
State Supreme Court removed 3 year old Tyler from the custody of his mother,
Sharon Bottoms, and her lesbian life-partner, April Wade.
 "We are mourning the death of a family," says the woman's pastor, the Rev.
Dwayne Johnson, senior minister of the MCC congregation in Richmond,
Virginia.
 Across the nation, lesbian and gay parents were stunned and terrorized by
the court's decision.
 "We declare Mother's Day, May 14, a national day of prayer for Sharon and
April," said the Rev. Dr. Mel White, UFMCC's National Minister of Justice at
a press conference in Virginia.
 "We invite people of all faiths to join us in prayer:

      -that the Supreme Court will return Tyler to his rightful home;

      -that never again will a lesbian or gay parent face the threat of
losing a child through similar unjust court decisions;

       -that one day soon, our loving, committed relationships will be
recognized with the same rights and responsibilities of heterosexual
marriage; and

       -that the "Sodomy Laws" behind this unjust decision (that still
declare our love "illegal" in 23 states) be struck down.

 "The Court had plenty of evidence to prove that lesbians and gay men make
excellent parents," explains the Rev. Elder Troy Perry, founder of the
Universal Fellowship of Metropolitan Community Churches (the only Christian
denomination in America serving primarily the lesbian/gay community.)  "We
believe with all our hearts that God can change the minds and hearts of
those four judges," he adds, "and we need your prayerful support to that end."

 America's entire lesbian/gay community was devastated by the Court's
decision.   Clergy and lay leaders of the 300 UFMCC congregations in America
are asking all people of faith to respond to this outrage against the
parents among us.

 "First," says Arlene Ackerman, Coordinator of the Mid-Atlantic District,
"let prayers for justice go forth from every church and synagogue in this
land on Mother's Day and in the days ahead.

 "Second," she adds, "in the next 30 days, we need letters from pastors,
priests, rabbis and lay leaders asking the court to reconsider their
decision."

 Sharon Bottom's lawyers plan to present a petition for a re-hearing to the
Court within 30 days.  If just 1 of the 4 justices in the majority agree
that a mistake has been made, a new hearing will be scheduled.  Letters, cards,
petitions, personal stories and appeals, all asking the Judges to consider
the evidence should be sent by May 17
 "To the Justices of the Supreme Court of Virginia..."
 % UFMCC Headquarters,  5300 Santa Monica Blvd.
 Los Angeles, CA. 90029

 On Friday, May 19, those letters will be presented en masse to the Justices
by GLAAD/Richmond on behalf of the entire nation.

 For more information or for personal interviews, contact any of the names
below:
 The Rev. Elder Troy Perry 213 464 5100
 The Rev. Dr. Mel White  214-351-1901 [email-masked]
 The Rev. Arlene Ackerman 717-293 9320
 The Rev. Dwayne Johnson  804 353 9477
 GLAAD/Richmond 804 233-8801   [email-masked]
-- 
Avoir un ami c'est avoir un autre soi-meme;       Garland Tillery
quand l'un est absent l'autre le remplace;        Virginia Beach, VA
si l'un est riche l'autre ne manque de rien,      
si l'un est faible l'autre lui donne ses forces   Silence=Mort
                                    Ciceron       Action=Vie
[email-masked]
[email-masked]