Subject: GLSTN'S "PATHFINDER" AWARD TO JAMIE NABOZNY
From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 1996 13:28:14 -0500

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
LAMBDA LEGAL DEFENSE AND EDUCATION FUND

Press Contacts:	           Kevin Jennings, GLSTN 			
				(212) 727-0135
				Pat Logue, LLDEF
				(312) 759-8110
				David Buckel, LLDEF
				(212) 995-8585/8969
	
GLSTN'S "PATHFINDER" AWARD TO LAMBDA PLAINTIFF 
IN THE FIRST FEDERAL APPEAL CHALLENGING 
ANTI-GAY VIOLENCE IN SCHOOLS

(Chicago, February 21, 1996)-The Gay, Lesbian, and Straight Teachers' Network
("GLSTN") announced that it will award its third "Pathfinder" Award to Jamie
Nabozny at its 2nd Annual Midwestern conference in Chicago on March 8-10.
 Nabozny is the first youth to receive the award, which goes to individuals
who have created new paths for others to follow in the work against
homophobia in schools.  Nabozny, who is represented by Lambda Legal Defense
and Education Fund, is the plaintiff in the first federal appellate case
challenging anti-gay violence in public schools.   
	
	"Jamie is the perfect recipient of the Pathfinder Award," said Kevin
Jennings, Executive Director of GLSTN, "because his determination to pursue
justice is an inspiration to youth everywhere, showing them that they need
not tolerate homophobic harassment."  		
	
	Nabozny suffered multiple physical assaults from seventh grade to eleventh
grade in an Ashland, Wisconsin school district.  Some of the physical
violence he suffered was so severe as to require hospitalization and surgery.
 Students trapped him in hallways and bathrooms and beat, punched, kicked,
and even urinated on him.  Nabozny's parents stood by their gay son,
constantly attempting to get the school to discipline the boys who abused
him.  However, school officials imposed no meaningful discipline on the
assailants, and scoffed at Jamie, telling him that he had to expect such
abuse because he is gay.
	
	"Every child deserves a safe environment in which to get an education, and
that education should emphasize teaching respect for others," said Patricia
M. Logue, Managing Attorney at Lambda's Midwest Regional Office, and counsel
to Nabozny.  
	
	"If I didn't have parents who showed they continued to love me after they
found out I was gay, I don't think I would be alive today,"  said Nabozny,
who attempted suicide three times because of the abuse.  "I hope this case
will mean other teens do not have to go through this terror year after year."

	"Anti-gay violence is on the rise in schools," said David Buckel, Lambda
Staff Attorney working on the case.  "The states of Massachusetts and
Washington, as well as the cities of Austin, Providence, and Wichita have
responded to the brutalizing violence by documenting it and conducting
hearings." Lambda, which took over representing Nabozny on appeal, will be
presenting oral argument in the federal Court of Appeals for the Seventh
Circuit in Chicago on March 28.  A friend-of-the-court brief in support of
Nabozny's appeal was filed by the National Association of School
Psychologists, the National Association of Social Workers, the national
office of Parents and Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays, and Horizons
Community Services of Chicago.               -30-

*******************************************************************************
To send a message to the entire list "queerlaw", email [email-masked]

To unsubscribe, send a message 'unsubscribe queerlaw' to [email-masked].
To subscribe, send a message 'subscribe queerlaw' to [email-masked].
*******************************************************************************