Subject: Oral Argument in First Appeal Challenging Anti-Gay Violence in Schools
From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 1996 13:35:05 -0500

LAMBDA LEGAL DEFENSE AND EDUCATION FUND

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE		
Tuesday, March 26, 1996

 Contact:	Patricia Logue  312- 759-8110
		Margie Hanssens  212-995-8585
				
Oral Argument in First Appeal Challenging Anti-Gay Violence in Schools

(CHICAGO, March 26, 1996) -- Lambda Legal Defense and Education Fund, Inc.
presents oral argument this Thursday morning, March 28th, in the Seventh
Circuit Court of Appeals in Chicago, in the first federal appeal challenging
anti-gay violence in schools.  Lambda's appeal on behalf of Jamie Nabozny
seeks to hold his high school responsible for failing to stop a four-year
campaign of relentless physical and verbal assaults on Nabozny.  
	
"Violence against lesbian and gay teens is a serious problem that school
officials cannot ignore," said Patricia M. Logue, Managing Attorney of
Lambda's Midwest Regional Office, who will argue Nabozny's case.  "With the
federal government reporting that one-third of teen suicides are by lesbian
and gay youth, schools must show zero tolerance for anti-gay attacks."
	
During the four-year ordeal in an Ashland, Wisconsin school district,
students trapped Nabozny in hallways and bathrooms and assaulted him.  During
one assault, ten students surrounded Nabozny while another student repeatedly
kicked him in the stomach, resulting in internal bleeding which required
surgery.
		
Nabozny's parents repeatedly attempted to get the school to effectively
discipline the boys who abused him.  School officials scoffed, saying that
"boys will be boys," and that their son had to expect such abuse because he
is gay.
	
"I hope my case will help other gay teens to escape this terror," said
Nabozny, who attempted suicide several times.  Nabozny seeks the right to
attend a graduation and get his diploma, because the abuse in his school
drove him out at age 16, leaving him only with his GED.
	
"The issue of anti-gay violence against schoolchildren has moved to the front
burner, with hearings in several states, including Kansas, Massachusetts,
Rhode Island and Texas," said David Buckel, a Lambda Staff Attorney also
representing Nabozny.  "We get so many calls from teens in trouble that we
have drafted a booklet to help them fight against anti-gay abuse."
	
Lambda's appeal seeks reversal of an October 5, 1995 ruling by a federal
judge in Wisconsin.  Lambda, which took the case on appeal, is arguing that
Nabozny's school denied his constitutional rights by failing to protect him
because he is gay.  Along with other groups, the National Association of
School Psychologists filed a friend-of-the-court brief in support of
Nabozny's appeal.  
 
Oral argument is scheduled for 10:30 a.m. on Thursday, March 28, 1995 in Room
2721,  Dirksen Federal Building, 209 S. Dearborn Street.  Nabozny and his
attorneys will be available to the press at the courthouse immediately after
the argument.
--30--

*******************************************************************************
To send a message to the entire list "queerlaw", email [email-masked]

To unsubscribe, send a message 'unsubscribe queerlaw' to [email-masked].
To subscribe, send a message 'subscribe queerlaw' to [email-masked].
*******************************************************************************