Subject: Adoption is Final in the Case Which Established an Important Right Throughout NY
From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 1995 11:37:53 -0500

LAMBDA LEGAL DEFENSE AND EDUCATION FUND

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE		 
Thursday, December 21, 1995

Press Contact:	Beatrice Dohrn
		Margie Hanssens
		(212) 995-8585/8985
				
In the Eyes of the Law, Dana Really Does, Finally, Have Two Mommies 

Adoption is Final in the Case Which Established a Right Throughout New York
State

	In the final phase of a case which established the availability of  "second
parent adoption" for lesbians and gay men in New York State, Putnam County
Family Court Judge John W. Sweeney, Jr. today granted Gail Messina's petition
to adopt Dana, the biological child of her lesbian partner.  Sweeney is the
same Judge who originally denied the petition because of his finding that the
state's adoption law did not permit the adoption.

	"On November 2, 1995, my client won her case at the Court of Appeals and
established an important right for all New Yorkers;  today, she and Dana won
the most precious victory the law can convey: recognition of their
mother-daughter relationship," said Beatrice Dohrn, Legal Director at Lambda
Legal Defense and Education Fund .

	--30--